Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 11-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by william123 View Post
Trump is a lying, immoral, dishonest (and probably criminal) moron. Anyone with half a brain can see that. The only reason he is president is because 46% of the American people are complete and utter morons themselves who get all of their information from Fox News. And I say that as an American who has observed his fellow citizens for more than 50 years.

The USA is the laughingstock of the world. We don't do anything right. We have the most expensive education and health care in the world, our government runs a permanent (and huge) budget deficit (i.e., we refuse to tax ourselves to pay for what we buy), the cost of living is outrageous and getting worse, our population is exploding unchecked, and our style of capitalism works only for the rich. Oh, and our federal government barely functions, lurching from crisis to crisis, while all of our serious problems rarely get addressed and never get solved.

And just wait until Trump nukes North Korea.
Don't hold bacK! Tell us how U really feel.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:16 PM
deanm (Dean)

I admire William's words.
Dean
Old 11-02-2018, 05:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Trump is a lying, immoral, dishonest (and probably criminal) moron. Anyone with half a brain can see that. The only reason he is president is because 46% of the American people are complete and utter morons themselves who get all of their information from Fox News. And I say that as an American who has observed his fellow citizens for more than 50 years.

The USA is the laughingstock of the world. We don't do anything right. We have the most expensive education and health care in the world, our government runs a permanent (and huge) budget deficit (i.e., we refuse to tax ourselves to pay for what we buy), the cost of living is outrageous and getting worse, our population is exploding unchecked, and our style of capitalism works only for the rich. Oh, and our federal government barely functions, lurching from crisis to crisis, while all of our serious problems rarely get addressed and never get solved.

At least you can thank God/Russians/voters/corruption that Hitlery did NOT win - that would be certain doom for the USA, and I suspect, a MAJOR detrimental impact on the rest of the world. Clinton is a dangerous, megalomaniac psychopath compared to Trump, who is simply a cashed-up moron. Look at the legacy Barry left the USA...going to hell in a handbasket.

Trump nuking North Korea would be NOTHING compared to Clinton starting a war with Russia (which she was, and still is, hell bent on).

The world is tired of America's imperialism, geo-political brute force and "aid". America has been diddling in foreign elections (including Russia) and openly causing civil unrest throughout the world unchecked for FAR too long (Arab Spring amongst others) - and yet bellows blue murder when another nation is SUSPECTED of influencing the US democratic process (and yet NBC's expose is going right against what they had hoped - including other news networks, with plenty of dung on Dummycrats faces now like Schiff and others. It's going to stick to Obozo and Hitlery - mark my words).

And ISIS does not fall far from the red, white and blue applecart either.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:33 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I'm staying out of this .....
Old 11-02-2018, 09:03 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Poultry effort Col
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Trump is a lying, immoral, dishonest (and probably criminal) moron.
I'd argue that all this is amongst the key selection criteria on a politician's job application. Notice how anybody lacking in the above never seems to get far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
At least you can thank God/Russians/voters/corruption that Hitlery did NOT win - that would be certain doom for the USA, and I suspect, a MAJOR detrimental impact on the rest of the world. Clinton is a dangerous, megalomaniac psychopath compared to Trump, who is simply a cashed-up moron.
At the expense of fanning the flames, I can't help but agree with this. She (Hillary) makes my "Spider Sense" tingle like few things else.

At the end of the day, I'm proudly Australian, and consider the limits of sensible involvement in this tirade of what should be irrelevant. One point stands out for me however...

No matter who's side you're on, the fact that it boiled down to those two, speaks enough for the problem (the "system") at hand.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
No matter who's side you're on, the fact that it boiled down to those two, speaks enough for the problem (the "system") at hand.
Exactly. And not too different to the current state of affairs here in Aus.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 PM
DJT (David)

Hmm..I had the pleasure of being shoulder charged on Pitt street recently by lord Malcolm and his mates, the big Dutch bloke, you know the one, and some other off-siders and I have to say that they had a look on the their faces that said they are pretty relaxed about where they are at. You know the look.

No big black hummers, no people talking up their sleeves, no police cordons, etc. Count yerselves lucky that the guys who are trying to run the country act like you or me..no dramas, and if they stuff it up, you can always count on th media to change the government which am pretty certain doesn’t happen in the US

Trump on the other hand?...
Old 12-02-2018, 10:11 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to comment; you are obviously not highly talkative. It's reassuring to know that not all Americans have fallen in behind Trump. In fact I take great comfort from all the anti-Trump protests I see. However I can not agree that he is a moron - lying, immoral, dishonest and criminal I have no problem with but no one gets to that sort of position, especially while going against the political status quo, by being a moron. As Alex has said, while everyone is watching his antics he is quietly getting on with his agenda. I notice that his administration is functional enough to get tax cuts for the rich through parliament.

We see the same mistake here too. Every time some polly does something against the best interests of the great majority people reckon he (it's normally a 'he') is an idiot/moron/fool/out-of-touch. Isn't it possible that their agenda is against the best interests of the great majority and they are efficiently following their agenda? That makes more sense to me.

Regarding the budget deficit, how does the size of the deficit compare to the military budget? The money for all that hardware and all those people in uniform has to come from somewhere.

I think the chance of Trump nuking Nth Korea is about as likely as him building a wall. It's all good theatre that keeps the chattering classes occupied.
Old 13-02-2018, 06:05 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
This single, simple, statement is the most truth you will ever get out of any political thread on this or any other site...
Old 13-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
This single, simple, statement is the most truth you will ever get out of any political thread on this or any other site...
Yeah, re 2 presidential choices is what we would call a two horse race. The system in the US was a vast improvement on having a monarch, but was still influenced by the times, where countries, even empires were ruled by just the leader. My understanding was that President George Washington was offered more power for his role, but declined it. He understood the dangers in that offer.

Many people say, don't fix it unless its broken. IMHO, the system that has served the US well for over 2 centuries is now under strain, and may soon be broken. I suggest that the UK/Australian type of parliaments where the leader is elected by their party is a better way to go. However, it would be great if the US changed and again showed the way by improving (hopefully vastly, as ours is far from perfect) on the Uk/Aust parliamentary systems.

My biggest fear is that the US, under strain is looking for a strong leader. History repeats; Democratic Senates in both Greece and Rome collapsed. Both nation states had one gloriously strong leader shortly afterwards, Alexander the Great & Julius Caesar and then in was downhill from there.
Old 13-02-2018, 12:19 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Congrats to Alex for starting yet another traffic-generating thread monster during a lean time of year (astronomy wise)
Old 13-02-2018, 01:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Congrats to Alex for starting yet another traffic-generating thread monster during a lean time of year (astronomy wise)
Thanks I have another in mind which is guaranteed to take our minds off the clouds.
Alex
Old 13-02-2018, 01:58 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks I have another in mind which is guaranteed to take our minds off the clouds.
Alex
Look forward to it You guys wouldn't be too upset if I casually mention that I haven't seen a single cloud in Townsville since the eclipse? Jupiter looked gorgeous 5am this morning near zenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
2nd'd. Bring 'em on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
George Washington was offered more power for his role, but declined it. He understood the dangers in that offer.

Alexander the Great & Julius Caesar and then in was downhill from there.
I guess the notion of "too much power" was a fresh experience for them at that time. Wise choice really. As for the next downfall, sounds like a hell of a ride. I have no argument against the possibility of that. How's our home arsenals stocked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
However I can not agree that he is a moron... but no one gets to that sort of position, especially while going against the political status quo, by being a moron.
You're right. I must retract that inclusion echoed earlier. Personally, everyone makes mistakes in speech, but the forces guiding him (both within and externally to him) are on point - to whatever agenda/desired result. It's mentioned in psychology circles that being a successful liar requires greater intelligence than acting openly/honestly. Whether keeping track of the BS is maintained by him, or his team is largely irrelevant to the end result.

I still stand by the point that being a successful politician requires low (no?) moral fibre. This is something that I think Trump takes more credit than is warranted - he's in no (zero) way unique here.
Old 13-02-2018, 02:21 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
You guys wouldn't be too upset if I casually mention that I haven't seen a single cloud in Townsville since the eclipse? Jupiter looked gorgeous 5am this morning near zenith
Your OK. Townsville is a safe distance away.
Old 13-02-2018, 03:23 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Hmmm .... but closer to Rocket Man
Old 13-02-2018, 03:55 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I wonder..is he really stupid and obnoxious or are these qualities he uses to get publicity.
Look at how he did not have to pay much for publicity during the campainge ... I recall a movie scene where this politician spat on the table during a meeting and then zaid to the other guy, the hero of the movie, " what I did was a dispicable and terrible act but I gaurantee you will never forget this meeting".
Personally I think so much is an act he stirs the pot and then I guess behind the closed doors gets what he wants...for the American people of course.

But who will beat him..will he be the first president to be in for twenty years...the first emperor maybe.
And if there was only some way to change the US such that they did not war on everything...or so it seems.
He may be no gem but I am inclinded to think he may be representative of an elitist group who think it is their God given right to own everything and moralise to anyone who may want a world with more equality and less violence.
None of it worries me.
I do think the choice between Clinton and Trump was like picking which axe the excecutioner should see you off with.

We will build a wall.
is no worse than.
There will be no gst or there will be no carbon tax or no child in poverty etc etc.
I dont like politicians...look at the current mess..
We now know why they get in early and leave late...
I turned down a political life so happy about that and so happy I am not smart enough to lie.
Alex
Old 13-02-2018, 05:54 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Kek, I feel the love and am expecting an anthrax envelope in the mail. At least 4 people know my postal address here :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Hmmm .... but closer to Rocket Man
Fair call. If he ever gets the inclination...
Airstrip rated for C-5A takeoff/landing - check
Fighter servicing facilities - check
Amongst largest Army bases in Aus - check
Large Port - Check
Within Hwasong 14/15 range - Check

Ok, we're getting wacked. Laters :p
Old 14-02-2018, 08:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Kek, I feel the love and am expecting an anthrax envelope in the mail. At least 4 people know my postal address here :p

Fair call. If he ever gets the inclination...
Airstrip rated for C-5A takeoff/landing - check
Fighter servicing facilities - check
Amongst largest Army bases in Aus - check
Large Port - Check
Within Hwasong 14/15 range - Check

Ok, we're getting wacked. Laters :p
I dunno, judging by how many QLD rego cars there are here in Canberra / around Duntroon, Townsville may be a red herring