Old 31-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Startrek (Martin)

USB3 cables problematic

I’m looking at upgrading from a DSLR to a ZWO OSC cooled camera later this year and the distance from my focuser to my laptop is around 5m. All my 12V DC power cables and USB cables from scope/mount to laptop are direct connect
I currently use a ZWOASI120MM S ( USB3 ) guide camera connected to my laptop via a 5m USB2 cable ( type A to type B ) which has worked flawlessly for years. I originally tried connecting my ZWOASI120MM S ( USB3) guide camera with a few different branded 5m USB3 cables and had intermittent connection problems all the time so I ditched the USB3 cable and replaced with USB2 and no issues at all
My question is can ZWO OSC cooled cameras ( USB3 ) run off USB2 cable OK ? My ZWO USB3 guide camera operates perfectly with a 5m USB2 cable so I’m assuming the ZWO OSC cooled camera would hopefully be the same.
NB: I’m aware of the cable limitations of USB2 ( up to 5m ) and USB3 ( up to 3m) but I’ve read where people have run USB3 cables up to 5m without any issue at all
I’d appreciate some feedback from members who use USB2 cable to connect their USB3 cameras ZWO or other brands successfully up to 5m in cable length
Thanks
Old 31-03-2020, 04:33 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I plug guide camera into the usb2 hub on my asi071. I run that to a 12v powered usb3 hub on my mount. That connects to my computer via a 3m USB3 cable and a 5m powered usb3 cable (from jaycar).

You don't need the USB3 hub. I use the usb3 hub as that also connects to my mount and computer controlled dew heater.

And the zwo (pro) cameras are fine with usb2, just slower
Old 31-03-2020, 04:34 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Martin,
I use both the ASI 1600 and ASI 174 (USB3) cameras for solar imaging.
Using a USB2 connection is like trying to drive in first gear with the handbrake on....slow as Xmas.
I need fast frame rates, use a FAST(!) PC and SSD drive.
Obvious for guide cameras this is not an issue, but I think when you consider the file sizes from these larger CMOS cameras you really want a "reasonable" download speed.
The USB3 cable between the PC and the camera, for me, needs to be a 5mtr cable. I've been using a 1.8mtr with an extension (3Mtr?) but find it has it's moments. Just ordered a 5mtr cable - hopefully that will be better.
HTH
Old 31-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Chris and Ken
My astro laptop which I use for both capture and processing is a HP Omen 15.6” i7-9 processor 32GB Ram 1TB HDD and 512GB SSD memory so it’s a beast therefore no problem with data processing, only weak link is the cable from camera to laptop
Chris
I avoid using hubs as they can be a weak link in the data chain. The only powered hub I found to be reliable was the Startech 4 port USB3 hub which I use next to my laptop to give me additional ports
Ken
Did you order your new 5m USB3 cable through eBay or a local Australian suppliers website ( which will be a poor quality Chinese cable anyway ) ??

Cheers
Old 31-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I ordered from eBay.....hope it turns out OK.
I’ll let you know.
Old 31-03-2020, 08:10 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Ken
I’ve reading up a bit on these USB3 cables on various sites and most of them only allow full bandwidth signal up to 3m in length ( which is the international cable standard )
The bonafide + 5m long USB3 cables ( like Startech ) have an equalising chip in the connector and guarantee full signal bandwidth from end to end but the price tag is ridiculous $200
Help !!!
Old 31-03-2020, 08:48 PM
Startrek (Martin)

To throw a spanner into the USB3 cable works , just read some technical advice on CN and the recommendation was to use a 5m USB active repeater cable ( USB3 make to USB female ) plugged into your laptop or adjacent USB powered hub and the other end or Camera end use a USB3 type A to USB3 type B adaptor
Looks like using USB3 cables longer than 3m may require different work arounds to get a reliable solution
The 5m USB3 repeater cable was around $30
Old 01-04-2020, 07:22 AM
Imme (Jon)

I had nothing but trouble with USB 3 cables. Powered, repeater, expensive ones.....whatever I tried caused issues with communication dropping out or failed image downloads.

I swapped everything out for USB 2 cables of the same length and now have no issues.

I’d rather spend an extra second downloading an image than lose 10 minute subs because they can’t download.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:35 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Jon
How long is your USB2 cable from laptop to imaging camera ?
Or do you route via a hub somewhere ?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:19 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Thanks Jon
How long is your USB2 cable from laptop to imaging camera ?
Or do you route via a hub somewhere ?
I have the image camera on a 5m cable.
Focuser, guide camera and mount into a cheap hub then 3m to computer.

I've set up another rig a little further away so instead of using long USB runs i bought a cheap USFF desktop on ebay ($85) which i leave next to mount and remote into and then CAT-6 cable to my working computer (I prefer this option)