Old 17-08-2011, 09:46 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Anyone using the TV 85 field flattener?

Hi,

I a currently using a TV field flattener (the version for comes with the TV85) with my Meade 80mm along with my Canon 50D.

I am looking to switch to using a dedicated cooled camera (QHY) but don't quite see how I will be able to attach a non-DSLR camera to the flattener (which TV market for use with DSLRs).

The flattener fits in to the 2" focuser at one end and has a a Canon T-adaptor attached to the other end for the Canon. I can easily remove this by unscrewing a few small grub screws, but it revelals a shallow screw-threaded barrel that is too shallow on its own to accept the QHY.

I can only assume some sort of adator is possible that would screw on to the flattener's camera end with a nosepiece into which the QHY would be pushed. It isn't obvious to me though what that adaptor would be because I do have some adaptors (2" with screw threads), but because they are the same diamater as the barrel of the flattener they can't attach.

I'm just wondering if anyone has this flattener in use with a non-DSLR camera and if so how?

Chris
Old 18-08-2011, 07:34 AM
WingnutR32 (Sam)

Chris,

If the TV has a T-adaptor attached that is the standard T2 thread on the end of it, then you can purchase an adaptor from Theo that will allow the QHY to mate to a standard T2 thread.
Old 18-08-2011, 07:44 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thanks. The T-adaptor doesn't screw on to the end of the TV barrel it is locked in place using grub screws. Once the adaptor is removed there is a barrel (not sure of the size and I'm at work now so can't check) which is threaded on the inside. Something could therefore presumably be screwed in to that, but it would have to be an adaptor with screw threads on the outside edge.

Bintel are the TV supplier in OZ, I'll check with them. It is hard to believe it may only work with a dslr!