Old 27-08-2016, 05:14 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Boring old PHD Settings....

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm too lazy to search.

Just using PHD 2 to calculate the step, ms value by putting in the parameters it asks for like the focal length of the guide scope etc. One the parameters is the guide rate of the mount, although in that screen is doesn't distinguish between RA and DEC.

So, what values do people use. 0.2 perhaps or 0.5? Also, if you're using EQMOD what values do you have for pulse guiding for RA and DEC?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 27-08-2016, 07:09 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Gday Chris
As I type I am guiding with a OAG in a Sharpstar 65Q (420FL).
Ascom pulseguide settings in EQMOD are .3 for both RA and Dec.
My calibration step in PHD is 1500ms.
These may not be the best settings, but they work for me very well.
Hope that helps
Jeremy
Old 28-08-2016, 04:51 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Guiding problem with PHD settings?

Hi thanks for the details.

I'm having a problem. My main imaging scope has a focal length of 900mm and I'm guiding using the lodestar attached to an Orion ST80 with a focal length of 480mm. It is currently attached using a prism diagonal because I don't have an extension tube, but I have ordered one to remove that.

Typically I have done 10 minute subs and for the most part they guide successfully (i.e. no trail), but 20 minute subs do seem to trail although it seems worse pointing east for some reason.

I am using PHD 2 and it has done an auto calculation of my step/ms size based on 0.3 x guide speed in both RA and DEC which is also configured in EQMOD.

Mechanically it all seems pretty firm, but I do know that one of the screws bolting the top bar on to the main rings broke and so it is only secured with three. I will certainly correct that but it is hard to believe it is causing the problem because there are still three.

Just wondering then about some of the other settings in PHD, like agressivness etc. They are currently at default settings. The PHD graph also seems to show a lot of corrections - like all the time and the peaks and troughs do seem to be far from the centre line although the RMS is typically around 14 which is as low as it ever is.

Any advice/thoughts on what to try are most welcome.

Chris
Old 28-08-2016, 05:07 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Hello Chris

I don't know all the ins and outs of PHD, most things are on default for me. Polar alignment is the main one for me, and then making sure everything is balanced. Flexure is something you maybe experiencing with your guiding set up but I don't have any experience with it. I have always used a QHY5 in a guidescope and more recently a OAG.
Not much help I am sorry but if you haven't done so already have a look at this regarding drift alignment in PHD2.
http://openphdguiding.org/tutorial-d...ent-with-phd2/

Cheers
Jeremy
Old 28-08-2016, 07:57 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Also don't forget to run the Guiding assistant in PHD2. It will give some pointers about improving your settings and your polar alignment.