Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 AM
JA

STEP 5: Using 1/4-20 UNC sockethead capscrews of appropriate length, secure the Canon Lens to one side of the Losmandy style dovetail plate and the guidescope to the other side. One side may suit better than another and/or mounting plates with different hole pitches imperial/metric may also suit your gear better. Check your gear and purchase appropriately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CANON 300mm & GWO60.jpg)
103.8 KB7 views

Last edited by JA; 12-07-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 AM
JA

STEP 6: Attach (slide) the assembly on to the Skywatcher Losmandy D saddle recess on one end of the AZ EQ6 mount as shown. Set the mount up for equatorial operation and balance appropriately. Attach your cameras. Adjust/aim the guidescope to match lens axis.

and .......

HAVE FUN

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (4-SW-AZ-EQ6-Saddle-CU.jpg)
102.8 KB5 views

Last edited by JA; 12-07-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM
JA

PS: There are a few ways you could improve this, possibly by replacing the Canon tripod collar with a more rigid collar or telescope clamp ring (like a Parallax Type Ring with the Felt removed), IF you can find one in the EXACT size you need and if it has very little or no give in felt or cork in the ring. This is often better than the standard lens collar, as the standard collar only has one screw mount, which unless you tighten down hard, has the possibility of some rotational movement over time.

Best
JA
Old 13-07-2018, 12:49 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Cool, this is kind of replies i prefer and like, trying to help, rather than being kind of either sarcastic or being rude and tell me to go learn something and stop asking or wasting time around or just go take exposures, without trying to help really or giving options.

Well, i am using a store and they have items i can get, but i feel i am still not sure which one i can get, so i will post you 2 or 3 options and you let me know what do you think about those.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm...tail-bars.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm...nting-bar.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm...nting-bar.html

You let me know what do you think, which one you may go with if you were in my place?

Also i bought this one [short version] last year for my Canon lenses with collar, screw thread is a nightmare, but i may try something of that or find another solution.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dov...ng-plates.html

Not sure if i should just skip buying another scope of wide field such as 60mm-80mm aperture as someone suggested me and just use my Canon lenses up to 300 or even my zoom 100-400 [and ofcourse 70-200], he suggested i better get 100mm APO refractor than any of those wide field one from 60mm up to 80mm, i can even use an extender of 1.4x with my Canon 300, i think this opinion or advise is better as i may not need to waste a lot and i can still save for 100mm or larger in the future, it is just i feel it is easier to use a scope than a lens, but who knows.
Old 13-07-2018, 03:15 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
Hi again,

2. APO quadruplet so it already has a flattener, but 70mm or 60mm ones so it is already wide [300-400mm range]
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II is an excellent option. It is actually 70mm aperture f/5.6.

Not cheap (A$2600), but an excellent lens for both astro and terrestial photography.

https://www.shopbot.com.au/m?q=canon+100-400L
Old 13-07-2018, 05:26 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II is an excellent option. It is actually 70mm aperture f/5.6.

Not cheap (A$2600), but an excellent lens for both astro and terrestial photography.

https://www.shopbot.com.au/m?q=canon+100-400L
I don't have version II of this lens, i have only version 1, and i am planning to sell it locally then add more and buy MKII, but i am not mainly a wildlife or birding photographer, but good to upgrade anyway.
Old 17-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Bluknghtv (Daniel)

interesting, I still maybe going down this rout also, purchasing a good mount and using my 100-400 LII. I also have a 500mm L I f4 canon lens and use the 1.4x converter. Just a matter of the best way to mount the lenses with my canon 5dsr so no flex happens
Old 17-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I use a Stellarvue Sv70t with flattener.
Fabulous bang for the buck- 330mm f 4.8

See the images on my Astrobin page.
Also picked up 3x APOD’s with it
Old 27-07-2018, 09:48 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Andy, i wanted to have Stellarvue scope but everywhere i try to get one has an issue, either no shipping at all to my country or shipping is too much expensive even for this cheaper one which is not worthy, so i felt like Stellarvue is out of my reach, i liked Stellarvue images either from 70mm or 80mm, but if it is not possible to have one for me then it is out of list.

Nice images you have there, but i hope it is not because of your camera [QSI] rather than the scope itself which i saw bad results from it too.