Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-01-2021, 09:13 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Zwo power socket concern

Hello all.

The other night while imaging the power cable to the ZWO ASI 017 MC Pro got caught and the connector in the cable disconnected.

I didn't notice it then but last night I noticed that the 2.1mm plug was bent and the black power male adapter in the back of the camera is quite lose.

The good news is, both imaging sessions went fine and both camera and cooler performed flawlessly.

My concern is, will the plug eventually give way and I lose my cooler? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of repair?

Any guidance appreciated.
Old 13-01-2021, 06:51 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
Hello all.

The other night while imaging the power cable to the ZWO ASI 017 MC Pro got caught and the connector in the cable disconnected.

I didn't notice it then but last night I noticed that the 2.1mm plug was bent and the black power male adapter in the back of the camera is quite lose.

The good news is, both imaging sessions went fine and both camera and cooler performed flawlessly.

My concern is, will the plug eventually give way and I lose my cooler? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of repair?

Any guidance appreciated.
A competent and careful electronics repair tech should be able to fix that for you if it is only the female socket which is damaged. Getting a replacement socket may be necessary, but perhaps the old one can be reused/straightened/soldered, etc.... Given the nature of the damage you explained, it would be prudent to check the circuit board for any chips/cracks or broken traces.

Or you could always return it for repair by the manufacturer or his service agent.

Best
JA
Old 13-01-2021, 08:05 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
A competent and careful electronics repair tech should be able to fix that for you if it is only the female socket which is damaged. Getting a replacement socket may be necessary, but perhaps the old one can be reused/straightened/soldered, etc.... Given the nature of the damage you explained, it would be prudent to check the circuit board for any chips/cracks or broken traces.

Or you could always return it for repair by the manufacturer or his service agent.

Best
JA

Yeah, I also thought of the potential for a cracked circuit board. Trouble is, I don't have enough pictures to really know where to look and the camera is still under warranty and I'm reticent to open it up. The socket on the camera is not bent, it just rocks from side to side.

I can either send it back to ZWO, as I bought direct, or I could find someone here.

Does anybody know of a competent tech?
Old 13-01-2021, 08:15 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I've dealt with Module Repair Service, they were quick and efficient with my board that needed repair.

I don't know if they deal with cameras, but, worth asking.

https://www.modulerepair.com.au/

Philip