ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2019, 09:27 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

What options for a portable eq goto mount

Hi all,

I'm looking to pout together a portable eq goto rig. I have a WO Spacecat and my SW AZEQ6-Gt is a bit of overkill. Also it takes an age to put up and tear down, so I'm looking for a small, portable mount that I can quickly set-up and tear-down.

It will be used primarily for astro-photography and only carry a Spacecat with an ASI294 as primary camera and a small guide-scope.

So I was wondering what my options are. I was looking at a SW EQ5 or similar.

And no, I'm not interested in the SW Star Adventurer as it only tracks in RA & isn't goto.

What does everyone else think?

Rene
Old 12-12-2019, 11:14 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Portable, accurate mounts with GOTO

Hi Rene,
If you read around - particularly on CN, you'll find there is not really a perfect mount that is small & accurate enough for quality AP, with GOTO.
The EQ5 is not much smaller than your EQ6, and generally inferior in terms of tracking consistency.
The Az-Gti in EQ mode seems perfect: small, reasonably priced and has GOTO, but unfortunately tracking accuracy is debatable (see numerous threads & reviews on CN & Stargazers lounge) and I have found it inferior to the Star Adventurer.
The Avalon M0 is $$$ and although it works very well, is only marginally more portable due to no or small counter weights.
The RST-135 from Rainbow Astro is close to perfect, but is also $$$ and needs a few teething issues to be sorted out (see monstrous CN thread if interested https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...imaging-mount/)
The to-be-released Astrotrac-360 fits the bill of being small and is likely to be accurate based on trac history, but is also $$$ and the release date has been continually postponed.

It seems to be difficult to maintain accuracy in a small form...your Star Adventurer might be the best option despite no GOTO.

Last edited by AstroApprentice; 12-12-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi? Load it up with the EQ firmware and a wedge, and you have a small GoTo equatorial mount.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:39 AM
casstony

The EQM35 in the classifieds is worth a try - it seems good value compared to the price of the Star Adventurer, etc.

I bought an AZ-EQ5 as a lightweight mount rather than try to get by with the Star Adventurer.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:41 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

I have an EQM-35 - I can lift my scope (a Takahashi FS-78), plus the mount with CW's on and carry it out the door with no dramas whatsoever. Plus the SW mounts have come a LONG way - this one seems very good (albeit very tight axes which makes balancing an interesting endeavour).

At just over $1000 delivered ex-Andrews, or $670 as-new in the classifieds, it's hard to go wrong.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:58 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

if your budget allows, and I mean REALLY allows, have a look at the rainbowastro RST135
Old 12-12-2019, 02:20 PM
trek1701 (Mark)

I'm also happy with my EQM-35.

Cheers Mark
Old 12-12-2019, 02:35 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Those of you who own the EQM35, how have you found tracking accuracy, build quality etc?
Old 12-12-2019, 02:49 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
Those of you who own the EQM35, how have you found tracking accuracy, build quality etc?
I've got EQM35 and tracking is very good if you do proper alignment with 3 stars. Alignment with 2 stars - not so great, but good enough for visual.

Build quality... could be a bit better. Some parts look flimsy. Still ok for my ED100 + binowiever.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:05 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
I've got EQM35 and tracking is very good if you do proper alignment with 3 stars. Alignment with 2 stars - not so great, but good enough for visual.

Build quality... could be a bit better. Some parts look flimsy. Still ok for my ED100 + binowiever.
I'll be using it for AP.

I'd heard the build quality was a bit flimsy which kind concerns me.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:22 PM
SteveInNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
The Az-Gti in EQ mode seems perfect: small, reasonably priced and has GOTO, but unfortunately tracking accuracy is debatable (see numerous threads & reviews on CN & Stargazers lounge) and I have found it inferior to the Star Adventurer.

You're just referring to unguided tracking, right ? With a light load like a Spacecat, it should guide OK, correct ? (He asks with fingers crossed as he has one on the way).

The other contender that doesn't seem to get much love but I think looks good is the iOptron Cube Pro on a wedge.

Steve.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:28 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

As the owner of EQM35 I'd recommend at least EQ5 for AP. Yet I did some AP with EQM35, but it was more like short focal length AP (between 100mm and up to 360mm). Still ok, but if you can afford then EQ5 equiv. is better.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

One of the quirks of the EQ design is that it doesn’t matter so much, most of them take the same amount of time to put together. You have the tripod, EQ head and CBW. If weight isn’t an issue then you’re not really going to save yourself any time in setup but you will likely be taking a step back in quality.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:36 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
You're just referring to unguided tracking, right ? With a light load like a Spacecat, it should guide OK, correct ? (He asks with fingers crossed as he has one on the way).

The other contender that doesn't seem to get much love but I think looks good is the iOptron Cube Pro on a wedge.

Steve.
I've been able to get 5 minute guided subs with an ED72 on the AZ GTe using EQmod. The recommended skywatcher synscan pro app is aweful.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
I'll be using it for AP.

I'd heard the build quality was a bit flimsy which kind concerns me.
No, that's not the case. Some things require simple replacement (az-adjustment bolts, saddle clamp bolts) but that's just because they used average-quality bits. I replaced all mine with GOOD quality thumbscrews, bolts, stainless etc for under $50.

Tracking - brilliant - much better than the EQ5 (which was always pretty yuk). Ultra portable, works really well.

I wouldn't put anything over 85mm on it, but that's just common sense. I have seen people using Maks on it with nil issues though, but those are compact. LONG focal length would not be a great idea - you want the dec moment arm to be as short as possible.

Put a SpaceCat/RedCat on it, or all the way up to a Tak FSQ-85 or SW ED80, and you'd be perfectly fine. I don't have a single issue.

Remember, it's not a Vixen, Tak, Paramount. It's priced just over $1K...you get what you get.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:13 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

The SW AZ GTI looks interesting. Astroanarchy sells it with the eq mod for not much. Can’t tell if the price includes a tripod.

What are people’s experience with this mount?
Old 12-12-2019, 07:46 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

the tripod is fine, add some weight on the eyepiece holder/spreader and its very stable for its use.
Old 13-12-2019, 10:48 AM
carneb (Barry)

I have an EQM-35 and was using it for AP with a Skywatcher ED80. When using PHD2 for guiding the best guiding performance I was able to get was 1.5" but on average it was more like 2.5-3"

I have now upgraded to an AZ-EQ6. The guiding performance is better but my back is getting a bigger workout.
Old 13-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Startrek (Martin)

No one has mentioned a proven performer like the HEQ5 mount
Probably one of the most popular “smaller entry level EQ mounts” across the globe
I’d class the HEQ5 as a portable mount
Any thoughts on that ??
Old 13-12-2019, 11:35 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
No one has mentioned a proven performer like the HEQ5 mount
Probably one of the most popular “smaller entry level EQ mounts” across the globe
I’d class the HEQ5 as a portable mount
Any thoughts on that ??
Hmmm.....at almost 15.5kg (mount and tripod) without counter-weights I'd hardly call it portable.

I wanted something I could have set-up in my spare room and move outside easily. I don't have much time after work/gym. And I'm not putting much of a payload on it 5kg max.