Old 31-10-2011, 04:25 PM
bloodhound31

DWI. Are these guys OK?

Anyone had dealings with them before?

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp

Seems to be the cheapest place I can buy myself the Canon 100-400L. A couple of hundred bucks under DDP and Digital Rev. WAAAAYYYY under Teds!

Baz.
Old 31-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Poita (Peter)

Yes they are legit, I've bought from them before. Sometimes gear takes a while to arrive. www.kogan.com.au also sells cameras now.
Old 31-10-2011, 06:08 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Baz, my experience with DWI has been excellent, on the two occasions I've ordered from them, I've had the items delivered in the same week ( ordered Tuesday delivered Friday).
I can't say I've had that sort of service from any Australian retailers.

If you want to check on stock availability they have an Australian number and you can talk to a real person. My understanding is that DWI warranty claims are handled from Sydney.

Be aware that you may be landed with customs charges and GST on arrival, although in my case i wasn't.

I know you also haunt AP forums, I know you'll find positive comment there as well.
Old 31-10-2011, 06:16 PM
bloodhound31

Thanks Phil. This from another forum after I made a phonecall to DWI this afternoon.

"Originally Posted by Barry:
The guy just told me if it is over then they underwrite it's value so customers can avoid the GST, but there is no garauntee. This sounds illegal to me. Amirite?

Reply from another forum member:
That is straight out illegal and any representative of any company that openly tells a customer that should be sacked on the spot. If the goods are over $1000 and they are undervalued to avoid tax payment there are very heavy penalties that can be applied including forfeiture of the goods. DO NOT RISK IT! Make sure that the goods are correctly valued and budget to pay the tax you will still be ahead anyway."
Old 31-10-2011, 07:00 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Only good reports from me. Stock is shipped from a variety of locations - but has always been a brand new, genuine article. My hunch is the don't hold stock, but source from other suppliers.

They are definitely the best pricewise! Freight is quick - within a week usually.

DT
Old 31-10-2011, 07:37 PM
koputai (Jason)

I've been tempted to buy from DWI, but the extras always put me off.

When you factor in 10% for GST (which you WILL get charged) and shipping etc, the prices are only slightly below D-D. I'd rather walk in to D-D and have the item handed to me, knowing there are no risks or extras.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 31-10-2011, 07:48 PM
bloodhound31

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
I've been tempted to buy from DWI, but the extras always put me off.

When you factor in 10% for GST (which you WILL get charged) and shipping etc, the prices are only slightly below D-D. I'd rather walk in to D-D and have the item handed to me, knowing there are no risks or extras.

Cheers,
Jason.
Yep. Agreed. After reading all the fine print and taking the different shopping carts right up to payment, the initial price is not an advantage after all.

I have gone through DDP and purchased the lens.

Thanks for all the useful info folks.

Baz.