Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-11-2019, 01:14 PM
glend (Glen)

Andrews 10% Off Sale is now on

Andrews is now (from 11 November) having one of its rare 10% Off sales, on all in stock gear as mentioned on the website. It says " limited time" so no indication of when it stops. For big ticket items this could be a substantial savings.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Glen
Bintel had their 10% off Televue products up for the past week
Seems like they all try and trump each other for sales with discount wars
Good for the buyer as we already pay a premium down under for quality Astro gear
Old 15-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

That's because Televue are having a 10% sale, not because Bintel are ...
http://televue.com/notamnomen/2019/1..._content=tvo19
Old 15-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Andrews is now (from 11 November) having one of its rare 10% Off sales, on all in stock gear as mentioned on the website. It says " limited time" so no indication of when it stops. For big ticket items this could be a substantial savings.
Thanks for the headsup Glen,

I'd been looking at a mount from them, getting 10% off will be a bonus

Cheers
Old 16-11-2019, 02:36 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I'd love to spend some money at Andrews but whenever I send an email to purchase items they NEVER respond. Only being able to purchase through phone calls is seriously limiting their customer base. I wish they'd bring their store to the 21st century.
Old 16-11-2019, 07:00 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Customer and product support is not Andrews strong side
Also their website is a “scroll a thon” too ridiculous website design
I’m a Bintel supporter at least you can speak to staff who are astronomers with 40 years experience under their belt plus they will help you with all sorts of issues, and if they can’t for some reason will offer advice or put you on to another company or person who can
Old 16-11-2019, 07:35 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Customer and product support is not Andrews strong side
Also their website is a “scroll a thon” too ridiculous website design
I’m a Bintel supporter at least you can speak to staff who are astronomers with 40 years experience under their belt plus they will help you with all sorts of issues, and if they can’t for some reason will offer advice or put you on to another company or person who can
I agree that Bintel provide better web site and customer advice, but your also paying for that. Andrews is a discount supplier, no expensive inter-city location, web development, etc, allows them to reduce cost to you. It comes down to this:
If you know exactly what you want, Andrews is always cheaper for the gear they stock (in my experience and in comparison to Bintel). If your a newbie, confused about what you need, etc then Bintel is a better choice, but you will pay more for the assistance.
I have always found Luke at Andrews to be very helpful and he is their astro expert, if you ring them ask to speak to Luke.
Of course newbies can always ask their questions here on IIS and not be steered in a particular product direction, which I believe does happen at Bintel.
Research before you buy, is my advice.
Old 16-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
i agree that bintel provide better web site and customer advice, but your also paying for that. Andrews is a discount supplier, no expensive inter-city location, web development, etc, allows them to reduce cost to you. It comes down to this:
If you know exactly what you want, andrews is always cheaper for the gear they stock (in my experience and in comparison to bintel). If your a newbie, confused about what you need, etc then bintel is a better choice, but you will pay more for the assistance.
I have always found luke at andrews to be very helpful and he is their astro expert, if you ring them ask to speak to luke.
Of course newbies can always ask their questions here on iis and not be steered in a particular product direction, which i believe does happen at bintel.
Research before you buy, is my advice.
+1
Old 16-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Agree totally with where your coming from , but in my situation fortunately I don’t have to shop around for the “absolute cheapest price” but I know many other members do
When I need to buy something I enjoy walking into Bintel and chatting to John, Don, Mike and others who are more than happy to talk for a bit ( I know how busy they are ) even if it’s not about astronomy , but it tends to always end up with astronomy
It makes the process of purchasing something more enjoyable and I never feel rushed , even when the shop gets busy
Just my experience
Cheers
Old 17-11-2019, 01:16 PM
WynneP (Peter)

Andrews Communications

I agree that they are a good source, with usually the best price. I have bought a Dob and lots of other gear from them. However, you must be sure of what you are going to buy before you go to their shop! There are no floor displays with which to compare alternatives. So much stock in such a small space. In fact, it is quite entertaining to watch their employee disappear into the huge pile of boxes to retrieve your chosen scope.
Old 17-11-2019, 03:03 PM
Aron

So 10% off to Saxon, GSO and skywatcher..is this for those which already marked down as well?
Old 17-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Andrews don’t seem to sell the saxons however their website still hasn’t updated from 2015 for Saxon stock, in particular the refractors