Old 25-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

RC Focuser Collimation Ring & Tak scope.

Hi guys,

So I lashed out and got a Takahashi collimation scope and a RC Focuser Collimation Ring. The scope is brilliant and extremely easy to use but isn't really good for squaring up the focuser. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the job? I was just thinking of a basic laser collimator but I can't see the center dot on the secondary from the front of the scope. Would a cheshire do the job? I'm not sure how they go as I've never used one myself.

Thanks, Tim.
Old 25-10-2016, 10:16 PM
glend (Glen)

Tim there is a three part utube video on RC collimation that could be useful to watch. The TAK scope is probably the besr tool you could have. I would suggest installing the focuser collimation ring, then adjust the ring to achieve centre spot - before you touch anything else. I used a laser in the focuser to align the focuser, centre spot, using the ring adjusters. After that the TAK scope will be easy to use to align the secondary.
Old 25-10-2016, 11:24 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

yeh, I've seen those vids. But with my scope I cant see the center spot on the secondary so easily from the front of the scope. I can just make out the outer edge of the spot, but definitely not the center which is what I should be aiming for.
Old 26-10-2016, 12:31 PM
tim.stephens (Tim)

If you can, unscrew the end of the PRIMARY baffle tube. The later versions have a two-part baffle that obscures the center dot completely. The end is about 4cm long and if removed, you'll reveal the dot at the extreme edge of the front.

If you have the one part tube, unscrew the entire primary baffle from the primary retainer. Be careful to tighten properly and not to do this too many times. You can unscrew the primary retaining ring as the entire baffle screws into the center of this ring.

Failing all of this, a pair of precision calipers may be helpful (measure the ring thickness at the collimation screws.