Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Shipping equipment back to the US for warranty repairs

Does anybody have experience with shipping an expensive camera back to the US for a warranty repair? I'd appreciate any helpful feedback or lessons learned on how to minimize customs hassle at both ends.

Thanks,
Rick.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM
cfranks (Charles)

I sent my QSI 540wsg back for repair, a couple of years ago, and used UPS. Make sure you mark it as 'Returning to country of origin for warranty repair' even if it isn't. QSI deliver their cameras in small Pelican-type cases so I didn't need to worry about protection. Packed that in a sturdy outer box and the camera went and returned without any trouble. I had stumbled into my camera in the dark and broke the USB connector inside.

Charles
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

Hi Rick
Many years ago, I had to ship a Meade 10" scmidt/cass optical tube back to Meade for repair. Meade asked me to mark the carton "Goods of U.S. manufacture being returned for repair". There were no hassles with customs, but it could be different now
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Does anybody have experience with shipping an expensive camera back to the US for a warranty repair? I'd appreciate any helpful feedback or lessons learned on how to minimize customs hassle at both ends.

Thanks,
Rick.
I had only one bad experience with customs in the UK sending one of my bits for repair but I didn't declare the no commercial value. Just a technicality on the form. I had to pay import taxes and export taxes. Starlight Express couldn't pick up the adapter from customs either because there was a 40 quid fee. They called me and I had to ring the customs officer in the UK and they wouldn't budge. I had to pay both in and out. What started as a cheap repair ended up as a costly exercise. I don't know how the US customs work. So whatever you're doing make sure they know it's YOUR camera. Ask questions prior to ship and fill in the appropriate clearance forms.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Like the others....
Mark the package as suggested, keep a photo and serial (if available) and ALL postage documentation.
I had to return some bits to the US ( when I was in the UK) and ended up having to pay import duties and VAT and handling before they would release the goods (after repair). I then had to complete FORM # blah, blah, blah with all my documentation to get a refund (only duty and Vat!), took about three months.
Hopefully Oz customs are better.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Thanks very much, guys! If I learn anything new, good or bad, I'll post it here.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

The camera managed to sail through US Customs quickly and without any hitches. At the recommendation of Fedex I sent it with a copy of CBP (Customs and Border Protection) Form 3311 "DECLARATION FOR FREE ENTRY OF RETURNED AMERICAN PRODUCTS."

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 18-01-2013, 06:03 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

And the camera is now back safely...

Advice from UPS on the return shipping was: "You can ask the manufacturer to attach a copy of a document stating that the item was sent for repair or they can put the information on the commercial invoice."

The camera was accompanied by paperwork which made it clear that the camera was being returned after repairs and it waltzed through Australian Customs without delay.

Now I just need to check if the new sensor is better than the old one. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Rick.