Old 01-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Suzy_A

Lens prices

I just recieved in the mail a catalogue from B&H - a camera and gear shop in New York. I once bought a Canon FD-EOS adapter from them.

Their prices are very interesting as compared to Australian prices....

Lens ......... Canon Oz ..... QS ..... CHL ..... B&H
28 1.8 ....... 849 ............ 510 ................ 413
50 1.4 ....... 659 ............ 410 .... 559 ..... 323
17-85 ...... 1099 ............ 600 .... 919 ..... 538
70-200 2.8 2409 .......... 1310 ................1183
400 5.6 ... 2319 ........... 1480 .............. 1145
10-22 ..... 1399 ............ 770 .... 1169 .... 741
18-55 2.8 . 1999 ......... 1150 .... 1679 .. 1075
17-40 4 ... 1439 ........... 780 .... 1199 .... 699
85 1.8 ......... - ............ 450 ................ 364
1.4x ........ 599 ............ 400 ................. 296

How do I do tables with this thing???

All in AUD. QS is an Oz on-line store that sells 'grey' imports, CHL is a Oz retail shop that is a part of a franchise, B&H is the Yank retailer. Postage charges from the US are US$25 first pound, then US$5.50 for each extra pound and insurance is US$1.25 per US$100.

So, these Yank prices are on average 49.9% of the Canon Aust RRP. probably round that up to about 55 or 60% including postage.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Ian Robinson

Yep ... not good.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:09 PM
bojan
amateur

Where is that famous free trade agreement.....
Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
snowyskiesau

Another Oz store worth looking at is Discount Digital Photographics.
Their prices are good (compared to Canon locally) as is their service.
I bought all my Canon gear from them.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Where is that famous free trade agreement.....
.... it only works one way .... ie in favour of companies and consumers in the USA .
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Bloodbean (Troy)

No it's just too many greedy people in the middle I reckon!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 PM
CometGuy

Suzy,

The Canon Oz prices are RRP prices, you will do much better ithan these prices at local camera stores. Take the 70-200 2.8 lens for example advertised by Canon Oz at $2409. Photocontinental in Brisbane for example advertise $2160, but I know (from experience) they will give nice discounts to the point you don't save much buying overseas.

Terry
Old 04-05-2008, 02:22 AM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

I'm always amused when the middlemen are the manufacturer. Canon USA imports the lenses there, and Canon Australia imports them here. There is no practical reason for the difference in price, as there are no additional certifications that they have to meet. The manual may have one or two pages different for contact information, that is about it.

I've purchased many lenses & cameras from B&H in the past, and always had excellent service.

Here is the kicker: A Canon USA lens warranty is valid in Australia. They are not "Gray" market as long as the supplier is Canon authorised, which B&H are:

Canon offers an international warranty on non-digital Canon compact cameras, non-digital Canon SLR camera bodies, Canon lenses for all SLR cameras, Canon Speedlites and Canon photographic accessories only. If travelling overseas, the Customer may receive warranty service for those Products on these terms from members of the Canon Camera International Service Network. A list of those members is enclosed with the Product. The Customer must present this warranty card and the original proof of purchase to receive warranty service.

(from http://www.canon.com.au/extend/terms.html)

So why do we pay more again?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM
bojan
amateur

Because we are sheep and we go to them despite seeing a wolf there... hoping that it could just be a rough looking guard dog... And because it is easier, since they are closer.
And because some of us have too much money in their pockets? :-)
Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I do a lot of shopping at Photocontinental and they are just 5 mins down the road! I always negotiate on price and every time I have done so, I have been pleased with the outcome. I am content to get quite close to the grey import price+shipping+costs and then walk out of the store with goods in hand.

Also, I really do value the opportunity to handle and inspect goods before a purchase, where I need to do so. An example here would be trying say, the Lowe Pro range of camera bags, packs, etc to see which one best fits my kit, something you just cannot do over the internet, unless you are extremely gifted at visualisation and mental imagery!

Cheers

Dennis
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
bojan
amateur

I still do not see why I should beg someone to be gentle with my wallet and not rip me off (too much)
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 AM
DJDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post

I've purchased many lenses & cameras from B&H in the past, and always had excellent service.

Here is the kicker: A Canon USA lens warranty is valid in Australia. They are not "Gray" market as long as the supplier is Canon authorised, which B&H are:

Canon offers an international warranty on non-digital Canon compact cameras, non-digital Canon SLR camera bodies, Canon lenses for all SLR cameras, Canon Speedlites and Canon photographic accessories only. If travelling overseas, the Customer may receive warranty service for those Products on these terms from members of the Canon Camera International Service Network. A list of those members is enclosed with the Product. The Customer must present this warranty card and the original proof of purchase to receive warranty service.

I wish Nikon worked the same way.
They will honour warranty on lenses, etc. (not bodies, though) if bought whuilst overseas not imported from a Nikon dealer OS.

http://www.nikon.com.au/warranty.php
Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 AM
DJDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post

I wish Nikon worked the same way.
They will honour warranty on lenses, etc. (not bodies, though) if bought whuilst overseas not imported from a Nikon dealer OS.

http://www.nikon.com.au/warranty.php
Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 AM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I do a lot of shopping at Photocontinental and they are just 5 mins down the road! I always negotiate on price and every time I have done so, I have been pleased with the outcome. I am content to get quite close to the grey import price+shipping+costs and then walk out of the store with goods in hand.
I've bought several cameras (both video and photographic) at Photocontinental and been happy with the price and service. They just don't seem to quite have it for lenses though. Maybe as you say they have room to negotiate on those prices.

Also, have you checked out the cost of a 1650 or 1660 Pelican case there? I think they come with "Pick' n Pluck your wallet" foam.

Regards,
Eric
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Eric

I should also mention that my 40D/lens package was only made comparable (and palatable) to grey import prices due to the Canon $500 cash back offer running at the end of 2007.

Hmm, yes, those Pelican cases sure are expensive!

Cheers

Dennis