Old 23-02-2008, 12:46 PM
jinxsta

gstar ex thoughts

Hi all,
I'm looking to add a camera to my 8" gso telescope so my son who has only one good eye can see the wonders of the sky as he has trouble with the eye pieces and was looking at getting the gstar ex so I can output it to the laptop or video monitor. The scope is not motorised and I'm wodering if the live view will work for what I need. I have plans on getting other equipment as the budget allows things like a goto mount and may be a 80mm ed pro scope for astro photos but really want to get equipment that will work togther.
any help and thoughts most welcome.
Jinxsta.
Old 23-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

Although GStar is a great camera for live view, it needs tracking telescope. Without tracking and with 128 x frame integration the stars will be streaks or egg shaped, depending on focal length of you telescope. It may work with low frame integration but then you will see only very bright stars.
Tracking does not have to be very precise for live view.
Old 23-02-2008, 05:20 PM
jinxsta

thanks Karl for the info may have to look at something else or maybe getting a smart star cube and using the gstar camera on that. would a 80mm refractor or a 100mm maksutov be better for the camera till a mount like eq6 goto come along.
thanks again
Jinxsta
Old 23-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

80mm refractor at f5 would be much better choice then 100mm Maksutov. Fast refractor would give you wide view of the night sky and you may get away slover frame itegration. At 128x intergation your monitor picture will update ones in 2.56 second. At 32x it will update every 0.64 second
Old 24-02-2008, 07:59 AM
jinxsta

another wrong choice averted thanks for the info karls is greatly appreaciated.

will also look into getting an RA axis drive from my understanding it will solve the tracking issue so as to use the gstar.
maybe the smart star cube next as a grab and go scope and something my son can handle on his own.

was looking at mounts with goto and later down the track will get the heq6 pro as it should do what ever is needed in the future as scope wants change and I think the gstar will see me good for some time for both my son and myself when I want to start doing astro photos.

and as every hobby the lists of things just grows lol.
thanks again.
Jinxsta
Old 24-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Karls48 (Karl)

This is unprocessed image of Betelgeuse taken with 100mm f5 fl500mm Celestron refractor at 128x frame integration. That’s how you would see it on your TV, only it would fill whole screen. With computer monitor image size will depend on capture card and the software you use.
The price difference between 80mm Skywatcher and 100mm Achromat refractor OTA at Andrews is not that big. The 100mm got better focuser and it is better telescope.
RA drive would be sufficient for your application.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2008-02-23Betelgeuse-008.jpg)
73.0 KB52 views
Old 24-02-2008, 03:58 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I use the Gstar-Ex for visual observing through the F5 80mm refractor that came with my Ioptron Cube. You can see so much more detail than through the eyepiece.
I've attached a single frame of M42 at 64x intergration.
96x intergration.
and an image made from 24 frames of 96x intergration, stacked to make a more detailed picture.
The Ioptron Cube is a great little unit. I bought it specifically to use with my Gstar camera. Though I know that am limited with what I can image through it because of the problem of field rotation, it suits me fine for now.
I've used the Gstar though my 10" Dob with limited success. Tracking is a godsend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m42 64x.JPG)
16.6 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (m42 96x.JPG)
23.1 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (28th Jan 08 M42 24 frames 96x Loreal.jpg)
40.4 KB75 views
Old 24-02-2008, 04:23 PM
jinxsta

Karls and jjjnettie thanks for the images really makes it all that much easier to see what can be attained.
so RA drive then gstar then ioptron cube, then some intersting nights ahead and some more curve to the learning path.
thanks again.
jinxsta