ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2021, 06:27 PM
Andyhcmc

Synscan WiFi Dongle testing

Hi,
Anyone know if there is a diagnostic test for Synscan WiFi Dongle via pluging in to computer?

Mine picks up on wifi but in app it says no devices found,,, Ive tried using the handset cable and reseting & using multiple different devices plus diff versions of app.

I'm in Vietnam and no local service/repair facilities that I've found.

Any advice?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:36 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyhcmc View Post
Hi,
Anyone know if there is a diagnostic test for Synscan WiFi Dongle via pluging in to computer?

Mine picks up on wifi but in app it says no devices found,,, Ive tried using the handset cable and reseting & using multiple different devices plus diff versions of app.

I'm in Vietnam and no local service/repair facilities that I've found.

Any advice?
1. Why are you plugging it into the computer and not the mount?
2. It's an RJ45 connector so how are you plugging it in, do the lights flash is it getting any power?
3. Is it in station or access point mode?
Old 05-04-2021, 05:44 AM
Malcolm

https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/...ersion_107.zip
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...-wifi-adapter/
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3...oblems-solved/
Old 05-04-2021, 09:59 AM
gregmc (Greg)

http://www.astrophotosite.com/tiki-i...ection_options

My page has connection options including the wifi dongle
Google might claim it’s a suspect page but that’s because I don’t pay for a signed certificate to enable https.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:25 AM
Malcolm

If you're using iOs and SkySafari, when you tap connect telescope it now opens SynScan for you so you can do the alignment, no need to use two iOs devices, that problem has been fixed.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Andyhcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
1. Why are you plugging it into the computer and not the mount?
2. It's an RJ45 connector so how are you plugging it in, do the lights flash is it getting any power?
3. Is it in station or access point mode?
Sorry to confuse,,, The dongle when plugged into the mount connects to phone/tablet but when app started and hitting connect is says device not found.
So I was asking if there is anyway to rest it via computer?
Old 05-04-2021, 01:45 PM
Hemi

Andy,

Have you connected your device (phone/tablet etc) that is running the SynScan app to the dongles WiFi? You need to do that first. Otherwise no device will be found.

If you describe what devices your using, the steps your doing, and what you’re trying to get done in some detail, then I’m sure we can help.

Cheers
Old 05-04-2021, 08:12 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyhcmc View Post
Sorry to confuse,,, The dongle when plugged into the mount connects to phone/tablet but when app started and hitting connect is says device not found.
So I was asking if there is anyway to rest it via computer?
out of the box it is configured for Acess Point mode.

1. Turn on wifi on phone tablet, Connect to wifi network like SynScan_WiFi_####, where #### are unique numbers for that module.

Then open synscan app on phone/tablet and press connect. From the pdf https://www.manualslib.com/manual/17...y...%20More%20

I quote

3. Configure the AdapterIn your SynScan app, tap Settings > WiFi Setting.• Check "Modify Access Point" to- Enable/Disable the Access Point Mode.- Change the SSID(Name of the access point)- Add or remove password for accessing the adapter's Wi-Fi access point.• Check "Modify Station" to- Enable/Disable the Station Mode- Enter the SSID of the Wi-Fi access point (router) to which the adapter will connect.- Enter the password for the designated Wi-Fi access point (router).- Enter a static IP.Tap "Apply" button to confirm setting. You might need to restart the mount and/orre-connect to the correct Wi-Fi network on your smartphone.Important: In most case, users should use either "Access Point Mode" or "StationMode", DONOT enable both of them.

End Quote

You should only need to do the above if you wish to change the AP name or switch to station mode.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:22 PM
Andyhcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Andy,

Have you connected your device (phone/tablet etc) that is running the SynScan app to the dongles WiFi? You need to do that first. Otherwise no device will be found.

If you describe what devices your using, the steps your doing, and what you’re trying to get done in some detail, then I’m sure we can help.

Cheers
Sky-watcher sky discovery mak 127, have tried Samsung S10 two different phones, Samsung Tab A 10", iphone 11, Samsung Note 8.

Synscan & synscan pro.

All devices connect via wifi in phone settings and report dongle name.

Non find the dongle when app started on multiple devices that I have used.

All devices say device not found.

I have used patch cable that came with dongle & handset cable.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can check the cable or is there any test I can do to check lut the dongle?
Old 06-04-2021, 02:15 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Andy, I've never been able to get the wifi dongle working correctly on just one Android device (or iOS for that matter). I need to connect the dongle and align the scope with the Synscan app on my Samsung phone, then connect the scope to Skysafari through my Samsung tablet.

Also, don't have Skysafari open or try to connect the dongle to the tablet when doing your alignment - only open the app / connect to wifi once you're aligned. I've found this makes a big difference. Other than that, it may be an IP number error that others have mentioned - it can be a bit of trial and error to get the correct IP number working.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:12 PM
denodan (Dennis)

Download the synscan app from Google or Android store, need this running. Also on Android turn off battery optimization off on synscan app and skysafari. You need the ssynscan app else wont find hardware. You also need the synscan app to do alighment then can use in skysafari by clicking on object and will go to it. Cannot do alignment with sky safari
Old 09-04-2021, 05:32 PM
denodan (Dennis)

Also the dongle has be connected to mount and wont work through pc

Last edited by denodan; 09-04-2021 at 06:14 PM.