Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-03-2021, 09:58 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

OSC with duo-band filter PLUS mono RGB

Thinking on this drab, horrible wet week, and home with flu-like symptoms (I am not saying the C word until my test comes back lol)

I bought an OSC SX cam some time back. Married it with the Optolong L-eNhance duo-band filter. Recently, I bought a mono version of this camera (same chip, same manufacturer) and have the full LRGB-Hα suite. Talking to Terry, he says that combining images from both will be a breeze.

I have been contemplating buying another carousel and making it NB, but then been rethinking...would the OSC with the L-eNhance be sufficient NB to add to the LRGB-Hα? The L-eNhance adds the OIII/Hβ and Hα, plus I have dedicated Hα in the current carousel setup.

Will going NB separately with the mono add a LOT more data than the L-eNhance on the OSC?
Old 23-03-2021, 10:25 AM
AdamJL

Not sure what the benefit would be, as the RGB filters will do the same thing as the OSC, but at a higher resolution.
Better off getting more filters for your mono I think.
Old 23-03-2021, 10:35 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

No, I mean adding the l-eNhance images to the LRGB - the mono LRGB is a significantly higher QE than the OSC, so I was thinking to get the RGB colour from the mono, and add in the OIII etc gained from the OSC with the duoband filter.
Old 23-03-2021, 01:40 PM
AdamJL

I still think new filters for the mono would be better
At the end of the day, even OIII has to pass through the RGGB matrix on the OSC camera so you're getting about 1/4 the data, limiting your resolution. You've got a mono already, I would (personally) just shoot with that.

That said, if you want to do it, sure, it'll work but in my mind, you're mixing 98 Octane with 95... just stick to 98
Might save you time as well if you can shoot both concurrently (but you'll need more exposure time on the OSC sooo.....)