Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-03-2021, 09:36 PM
furyz (Kristian)

AVX Mount Tuning

Question, I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone in Australia that does tuning of AVX mounts. Things like bearing upgrades and general optimisation.

I know that hypertuning of AVX mounts exists overseas but I was wondering if anyone here in Australia does that sort of in-depth maintenance and servicing.

For now I only have a 6" OTA which is well within spec of the AVX, but if a nice 8" or 9.25" pops up for sale, I know I would be very tempted to upgrade. In which case I will be straining the limits of what a AVX is capable of handling.
Old 23-03-2021, 06:48 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Don’t know much about the AVX but somewhere I saw advertised a belt mod kit for the AVX. Will it work? I don’t know. But the idea works on the HEQ5.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:44 AM
furyz (Kristian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Don’t know much about the AVX but somewhere I saw advertised a belt mod kit for the AVX. Will it work? I don’t know. But the idea works on the HEQ5.
Sorry for the late reply, I heard the belt mod for the AVX is bad idea, most people recommend avoiding a belt mod.

There are a number of guides online on how to upgrade various bearing, adjust and properly lubricate the mount to make it run perfectly. Jason Burns has some of the best guides online for doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_TmDWBok18

There are a number of companies in the States that do this. So before I attempt to do it myself, I figured I would ask around and see if I can find a professional that would do it here in Australia.

I ultimately don't doubt that I can pull it off, but given the cost of the mount, I would rather not screw something up and make things worse by mistake.