ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

How Long Does Your Appliance Last?

We have a Fisher and Paykel washing machine which we bought back in 1998. In 1999 we had a new electronic panel replaced under warranty, 12 months ago I repaired a split drain hose, the cold solenoid was faulty so I put the cold hose on the hot solenoid and we are back in business. All these jobs didn't cost us any money. On Monday we found a small leak on the floor. Ah, a split hose I thought. Nope. That's not it. Couldn't find the source anywhere. I called a repair man and he advised that it's most likely a seal in the tub and was very expensive to repair. Either that or it's the pump. Not the pump as no water on it externally. Bugger!

Anyway to cut a long story short, we've had 17 very good years out of this washing machine. We found another Fisher and Paykel machine that's only two years old for $120. Bargain!

My question is, what is the longest working time you have had from a home appliance?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM
deanm (Dean)

I have chopsticks from 1974...!

Dean
Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 AM
blink138 (Pat)

fridges....................... fridges last a very long tme!
pat
Old 10-12-2015, 10:43 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

I bought my grandparents house, and as far as I know, it's the original fridge. This would make it over 30 years old. I've replaced the thermostat twice, but that's it.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:55 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I've got a clothes dryer that's about 25+ years old. Had to replace the motor belt once. The timer doesn't work, but other than that, it's still going ok.

On the flipside, we're going through dishwashers at a far faster rate. They're not that easy to self-repair (for me), so it's a complete replacement when they fail.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:06 AM
KISSMAD (Bruce)

I've been using the family fridge since I moved out of home. It's the fridge that I grew up with, I don't remember not having the fridge as a kid. A rough guess of it's age would be 45+ years! It still has the Moove milk sticker on the front, although very faded. The light blew a few weeks ago but I have not replaced it. It still has all original parts.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:06 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Me ....I've been ' washing up ' for years, and I'm still going...

Col....
Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

``````````````````````````````````` ````1986 we bought the simpson top loader. 2009 We gave it to the Flood victims appeal in Brisbane.
I did replace the seal on the gearbox/tub but other than that it worked perfectly.
So at least 23 years before we gave it to charity.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:04 PM
w0mbat (Ian)

Recently our fairly expensive Sunbeam Café Series toaster failed after maybe 4 years use. Then I remembered that we had an old Sunbeam Radiant Control toaster in the shed that used to belong to my Mother. Went and got it, plugged it in and put in some bread. Soon out came perfect toast.
The thing is it was made in 1965!!!
Looked on the web and there is lots of info including a dedicated site to "the best toaster ever made".
They say there are known instances of this toaster being in daily use for 50 years!
And proudly stamped on the bottom..."Made in Australia".
We are still using it.
Ian
Old 10-12-2015, 01:05 PM
tileys

Had a big but cheap Samsung microwave my parents bought me to go to uni with - it lasted about 20 years before the magnatron started throwing sparks everywhere. Our Smeg microwave lasted a fraction of that time before it started dying.

Have stereo components (British and Japanese) that are still going strong after 25 years with minimal intervention.

Have certainly noticed that there's a quicker turnaround in models of appliance in general these days so even if the parts were servicable (less likely it seems as time goes by) it's hard to get them after a few years.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Just realised my old stereo in the lounge was bought in 86 and still functions. The cassette needs some new rollers though.
Philips I think.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:36 PM
leon

In 1972 when we were married we bought a Sanyo Chest Freezer, i was new but slightly damaged so we got it a bit cheaper, we paid the sum of $120.00 for it, a fair bit of money in those days, however to cut a long story short, it is now in the shed at my daughters place and still running, nothing has ever been done to it repair wise and it has been shifted many times.

So that makes it 43 years old and still kicking, not a bad effort i reckon.

They don't make them like they used to, it is a throw away society these days, and you are lucky to get 5 years out of any white goods with out a repair along the line

Leon
Old 10-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Baza (Barry)

I have a smeg oven, now had 4 repairs in 8 years. $240 in parts this time. Unfortunately it is the only 700mm oven on the market or it would have been replaced.
It is my last smeg appliance of any type.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:51 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

We have a 7KG Fisher and Paykel washing machine that we bought in 1989 (I think, might have been 98) The membrane buttons on the control panel are split and deteriorated but it it is fault free aside from that. We replaced it a couple of years ago with a Miele front loader as water consumption is pretty critical for us, got just outside warranty before it shredded it's drive belt.

The F&P was relegated to the stables and has been washing horse rugs since we got the front loader.

We also have a fridge that we bought in about 1995 that is doing duty as a drinks fridge now.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:43 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

I'm on my 3rd F&P washing machine. They always fail in the same ways, and I'm always able to repair them myself. As much as they frustrate me, I cant see me changing brands.

I also have a Dishlex Dishwasher that is pushing 11 years. Everytime it fails, it's the same easily fixable fault.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Fridges seem to be the most long lived and reliable appliance. Probably because their rotating parts are sealed in an oil bath. The worst for us is the trusty dish washer. I've tried them all. the cheap, the mid priced and the very expensive and none have had an apparent long life. Even the one I married has broken down a couple of times. May be in need of replacement. Can't afford a new one.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:40 PM
vlazg (George)

63 and still goin........ouch, no don't !!! Put that knife awa...
Old 10-12-2015, 09:33 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

I have a Russell Hobbs electric kettle that is over twenty years old, I think that tank water for the past 12 years has contributed to it's longevity.
Greg.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:39 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
In 1972 when we were married we bought a Sanyo Chest Freezer, i was new but slightly damaged so we got it a bit cheaper,

Leon
Leon, your wife sure did get a bargain.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:50 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

My parents gave us a General Electric refrigerator for a wedding gift back in January 1973.
I never had to call for any kind of tech. service.
I replaced the auto-defrost solenoid, once....about $6.00.
It finally died last year.
All told....41 years of very faithful service..
Of course, it was built in Aust.