Old 20-03-2008, 02:20 PM
baf65

our backyard in Perth

we only just bought our Nexstar 6 telescope so are still coming to grips with what it can see....
but this morning it was great, our kids had us up at 6.30am so we thought we might as well make the use of the early rise and even tho it was starting to get a little too light we were able to view Venus, I think Mars and definitely Jupiter. It was our first good look at Jupiter and it was amazing, the moons and the planet were all in a line we timed it just right!!
We are truly blessed in Perth with such clear skies for most of the year, now if only I could get rid of some of the trees in the garden we might be able to see a bit more!!!
Old 20-03-2008, 02:39 PM
rogerg (Roger)

That 6:30am sky is great isn't it Jupiter, venus, the bright stars.... looks great almost every morning out our kitchen window.

Perth isn't so bad ... interesting to see what this winter brings. We've had some very good clear winters lately, but with little rainfall. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, cloud or rainfall, but it'll be interesting either way
Old 20-03-2008, 02:48 PM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

Glad to hear you folks over in the west are having clear skies. In Brissy we are all very thankful for the rain, but we have had night after night of cloudy skies...and it is getting a little frustrating...

But, then again, I live near one of the major water storages and we need a big deluge to fill the dams...the stars will still be there after the rain.

Cheers!
Old 20-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

It wouldn't have been Mars, thats in the evening sky with Gemini at the moment. It was probably Mercury if it was just above Venus.

I have to admit that I do somewhat enjoy the chance to see the stars first thing in the morning during winter - something I'm getting at the moment with daylight savings too. When the air is cold it can be wonderfully clear too, with some memorable seeing.
Old 20-03-2008, 09:53 PM
baf65

yes it was mercury!

the evenings would be great with our clear skies, its just the flippin mosquitos that ruin it!!
Old 24-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Moonboy (Gus)
404 Not Found

LOL
I was outside earlier looking at Mercury and Venus....
...don't they just look great?
Gus
Old 24-03-2008, 08:12 AM
IanL

Hi Baf65,
Glad to hear you are you are enjoying your new scope. It only gets better in the coming months as we hurtle towards winter. These are the things the kids will remember later on looking back. Aperture fever will strike next I think. Main thing with astronomy is to enjoy it.
Ps
The nextstar 6 is a nice scope and should provide many a happy years viewing.

Ian
Old 24-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Baf65,

Great to hear that you are enjoying your new scope.

6:30am is probably not the best time to start viewing because it is too close to sunrise. However it should of been dark enough to see the Milky Way.

Jupiter is always a joy to look with its ever changing features and many moons.

P.S. I highly recommend you to get up much earlier to view many DSOs and scan the Milky Way.

Clear Skies