Old 22-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Group purchases

I often ponder on the ability of IIS members to conduct group purchases. How many times do we think "I could really go one of those", but sigh and persist with what we have? What if we enquired if others were interested in the same item, and formed a group conglomerate to purchase/order that item at a beneficial rate? There would have to be some regulatory stipulations, ie; the item must be ordered from an Australian retailer (We must promote and support those who support us), such as in a tender basis. If I was a retailer, I would welcome an order for 7 off HEQ6PRO mounts in the one go rather than 7 separate orders.(As a retailer you'd go straight to the wholesaler and negotiate a deal) They would all be sent direct to the end user, but not till the final payments were in. I know this causes some concern regarding "welchers" etc, but it could be of benefit to members, vis group buying power.

Last edited by Boozlefoot; 22-01-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 22-01-2018, 08:10 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Sounds like a great idea - I would be very happy to see this happen and partake also.

I've only been in this hobby about 6 months, and have bugger all gear to be honest. Everything I have has been either bought, given, or bought VERY cheaply (read: nearly given) by this great crowd (IIS).

I was talking on the phone with Michael from Bintel a few months ago (very helpful I must comment). He mentioned the challenge of guessing the right qty of stock to order for each shipment. Things like a group buy would assist any retailer in getting "the container filled", which helps justify a shipment. Basically win/win.

I'd be interested to see how this develops - Count me in
Andy.
Old 22-01-2018, 08:11 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
I often ponder on the ability of IIS members to conduct group purchases. How many times do we think "I could really go one of those", but sigh and persist with what we have? What if we enquired if others were interested in the same item, and formed a group conglomerate to purchase/order that item at a beneficial rate? There would have to be some regulatory stipulations, ie; the item must be ordered from an Australian retailer (We must promote and support those who support us), such as in a tender basis. If I was a retailer, I would welcome an order for 7 off HEQ6PRO mounts in the one go rather than 7 separate orders.(As a retailer you'd go straight to the wholesaler and negotiate a deal) They would all be sent direct to the end user, but not till the final payments were in. I know this causes some concern regarding "welchers" etc, but it could be of benefit to members, vis group buying power.
One prob too, is getting all to purchase at same time ..some may not be ready for months with funds, promising to commit , others almost immediately if the price is right for one particular item...and also some may drop out at last moment , and cause problems..good ideas to save money dont always work out in practise ..sadly.

Maybe Im being too negative, would be good to see this happen though...Count me in for new spare mount purchase at Bintel.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 22-01-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 22-01-2018, 08:17 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Sounds like a great idea - I would be very happy to see this happen and partake also.

I've only been in this hobby about 6 months, and have bugger all gear to be honest. Everything I have has been either bought, given, or bought VERY cheaply (read: nearly given) by this great crowd (IIS).

I was talking on the phone with Michael from Bintel a few months ago (very helpful I must comment). He mentioned the challenge of guessing the right qty of stock to order for each shipment. Things like a group buy would assist any retailer in getting "the container filled", which helps justify a shipment. Basically win/win.

I'd be interested to see how this develops - Count me in
Andy.
Sadly Michael no longer works there, big loss..though Don Whiteman is still there..a mine of information and skills.
bigjoe.
Old 22-01-2018, 08:30 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Sadly Michael no longer works there, big loss...
https://i.imgur.com/EvuZxcQ.gif
Old 22-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Wavytone

Never mind Bintel - you can sign up with any of several bulk freight forwarders -

I use MyUS.com which provides you with a US shipping address, they consolidate the shipments to Australia and its both fast and cheap - typically the savings on one order are enough to cover their fee for the rest of the year. If you place two orders in year amounting to say $100, you're almost certainly well in front of local prices.

I'm sure Fedex and other major carriers do the same - Fedex probably fills a plane daily to Australia.