Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 PM
StuTodd

Hoag's Object

I think I may have glimpsed the central core of this fascinating object just once this week after a few years, on and off, of trying, and wondered if any IIS members had attempted this elusive DSO type.

Wiki link here at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoag's_Object

These galaxies are stunning and not the usual target perhaps. Hoag's object located in Serpens at RA 15 17 14 and Dec +21 35 08 has a core at around 16th magnitude. I attempted with a 12" Dob under pristine sky a few days ago and thought I saw the core.

For those interested, there is a lovely pdf detailing the location and charts for others at http://www.faintfuzzies.com/Files/RingGalaxies%20v4.pdf

I hope this pricks your interest in these beautiful, faint galaxies.
Let me know how you get on and any tips etc..

Stu
Old 13-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Allan

That's some fine observing to pick up Hoag's Object in a 12". My research puts it at magnitude 15.2, no wonder it took many attempts to see the galaxy core in your 12".

I have started dipping my toe into ring galaxies and Hoag type objects, and find them a nice challenge.

PGC 19481 in Volans is brighter at magnitude 13.2 and in a tight group of several galaxies ranging from mag 14.3 to 17.5. It has a beautiful ring that was apparent in the 32", though it appeared and disappeared around the galaxies circumference, so still a threshold object in the 32".

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=P...=1534160646360
Old 14-08-2018, 01:56 PM
StuTodd

Hi Allan.

It required a limiting naked eye magnitude of about 6.5 and near perfect seeing. I have heard tell of someone viewing Hoag's object with a 10"!

As you say, the ring galaxies are fascinating but I think I'll need a bigger mirror to make life easier, perhaps glimpse some of the ring, not just the core. I'd love to hunt some down with a 32" glass!
I'm picking you could see many of the more favourably culminating ones listed in the faintfuzzies.com lists Allan.

Clear skies!

Last edited by StuTodd; 14-08-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Allan

I’m certainly keen to explore the ring galaxies more. The ‘problem’ with the 32” telescope is the vast number of objects it opens up for observing. I already have enough observing projects lined up to last me for about the rest of my life. I do like Alvin Huey’s work though and intend to follow in his footsteps as he has very similiar interests to mine.
Old 15-08-2018, 11:22 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Stu that's outstanding. Good to see you do some serious visual stuff
Old 15-08-2018, 09:35 PM
StuTodd

Cheers N1!

I'd like to have the "problem" Allan has though

The faintfuzzies site has some great downloads available but I reckon I've got some major catching up to do to reach your sightseeing list mate