Old 30-10-2018, 09:49 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Guide scope Issue

Hi All

I have an issue with my new guide scope. The attached shows the image I am able to get. And this is the best image I am able to get.

This particular image is from an ASI 224. The guide scope is a brand new ZWO 60280.

I am a bit confused because there seem to be three different effects - indicated in the circles.

Everything works fine in my Orion 80mm short tube. And I have tried an ASI 290 in the new guide scope and I have the same issue(s). So I figure it must be the scope.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
111.3 KB68 views
Old 30-10-2018, 11:54 PM
billdan (Bill)

I agree that doesn't look too good, if you take off the camera and look into the guidescope does it look like OK?. It could be a baffle that has slipped and blocking the view.
Anyway I'd send it back and get it replaced under warranty.
Old 31-10-2018, 11:35 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Bill

I checked inside. Nothing blocking the view.

But the problem has been fixed. I am posting this to close the thread and provide feedback. Someone may find this useful in the future. Maybe we should have an area to post our embarrassing moments.

Two nights troubleshooting. I was actually just trying to get the new guidescope lined up with the main scope. So I was simply aiming at Octans. Swapping cameras. Even changed the rings (I don't know what I thought that would do.) So I took the guidescope off the mount and sat it on a chair and aimed it straight up. Hey, It worked. Maybe something was loose. In the daytime I held it up, moved it around, nothing.

Tonight, started to setup and stood behind the mount looking south. Pondering! Then I noticed the problem. My view south is a bit restricted. A little, fine, new branch from a Tuckeroo has grown out and just into the field of view, but only the FoV for the guidescope. Main scope was fine.

Hmmm. The simple problems. Secateurs fixed the problem in a flash.

Darrell
Old 01-11-2018, 12:49 AM
billdan (Bill)

That's good news indeed Darrell, as you say the simple things can trip us over.