Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-10-2018, 06:43 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb44 View Post
Hi John
Very inspiring stuff, well done.
The PS tip is especially amazing and already being put to good use!

I would like to see what you could do with the Homunculus - Eta carina.
GlennB

John already did that with amazing results:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=165570&page=2

cheers
Allan
Old 30-10-2018, 07:09 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hothersall View Post
Yes Greg, the pillars I spent the most time on with over 5200 2.5sec exposures in good seeing. Registax would include plenty of poor images amongst the best so I went through it by hand stacking nearly 2500 sharp subs, it took several hours - very boring.
That sounds like a mammoth effort. I see you've been at it for a while perfecting the technique with your shots. Did you have better seeing in the UK? More elevation where you were? When it was clear that is
Old 30-10-2018, 06:56 PM
John Hothersall

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That sounds like a mammoth effort. I see you've been at it for a while perfecting the technique with your shots. Did you have better seeing in the UK? More elevation where you were? When it was clear that is
Well Marc back in UK Sagittarius creeps at 10-15 degrees above South horizon, while the Eagle and Swan get to 20-25 degrees above roofs which leak a lot of heat away.

Seeing and clear nights are pretty similar except the UK has Astronomical Twilight all through June and July where limited imaging between midnight and 3 am can take place. But in AU seeing these overhead as well as Sag/Sco Milkyway is amazing to a UK expat.

Regards.
Old 31-10-2018, 08:35 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Well Marc back in UK Sagittarius creeps at 10-15 degrees above South horizon, while the Eagle and Swan get to 20-25 degrees above roofs which leak a lot of heat away.

Seeing and clear nights are pretty similar except the UK has Astronomical Twilight all through June and July where limited imaging between midnight and 3 am can take place. But in AU seeing these overhead as well as Sag/Sco Milkyway is amazing to a UK expat.

Regards.
Yep I realise those particular targets are low from the UK but I was more thinking as in general seeing for targets up ahead such as andromeda, Cassiopea, M51, etc... There's a bit of elevation in places in Scotland and northern UK. I thought that for sure they'd get better seeing than here. We're all at sea level pretty much. Sky is dark alright though and transparency pretty good too.
Old 31-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Stonius (Markus)

I didn't realise you could image this way. I'm blown away. Incredible work. Thanks for pushing the envelope and showing us what can be done!

Markus
Old 31-10-2018, 05:33 PM
John Hothersall

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Yep I realise those particular targets are low from the UK but I was more thinking as in general seeing for targets up ahead such as andromeda, Cassiopea, M51, etc... There's a bit of elevation in places in Scotland and northern UK. I thought that for sure they'd get better seeing than here. We're all at sea level pretty much. Sky is dark alright though and transparency pretty good too.
Yes seeing is pretty similar, but good seeing is usually more consistent along the South England coast where weather is better, there are no high places for astronomers really. M31 can be seen with just 2 min dark adaptation. The Veil nebula looks like a photograph in the eyepiece of my 14".

Cygnus is the best Milkyway in UK which through binocs is amazing with Scutum cloud easily seen low down, but in AU Sag/Sco is way way better through binocs for shear size and brightness quite staggering for us in the NHemisphere.

In UK Cygnus, Cassiopeia, Cepheus nebs are overhead in Summer and Autumn. Auriga nebs, Rosette, Christmas Tree, Northern Orion nebs available in Winter. So we don't have it too bad in Northern hemisphere. AU just has lots of big bright shapely nebs.

Regards.
Old 31-10-2018, 06:11 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
In UK Cygnus, Cassiopeia, Cepheus nebs are overhead in Summer and Autumn.
Yeah I remember the triangle the three bright stars in cygnus up ahead in summer. Haven't seen the W of cassiopea in a while too. Nothing like here though. First time I saw the milkyway in winter here I thought that is a milkyway!