Old 01-04-2021, 09:44 PM
netwolf

Locations near Peak Hill / Parkes NSW

Hey all,

Going on trip to Dubbo, staying in Peak Hill. Any places near Peak Hill to park safely and observe? Might take the etx125 on my evolution mount. But more just want naked eye views. Last time we did Pronto Falls (suggested by IIS member) near Wellington but we are on the other side of Dubbo this time.

Would it be permissible to park near the Dish and observe ? That like 20mins from our Motel. Wanted to perhaps also take a wide field of ETA Carina area before Moon pops up.

Appreciate any help.

Kind Regards
Fahim
Old 02-04-2021, 12:49 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Hi Fahim,

We camped in Goobang NP in Feb and visited Peak Hill on a day trip. Five km out of town on the Tullamore Rd is a small reserve at Bogan Weir. I expect you will see some light from town but it should be OK looking west. We were there in the afternoon and there was some boy meets girl activity happening: car load of young lads arrive and red-P driver attempts some hooning in an underpowered diesel crew cab ute (lame). Ten minutes later a car load of young women (red-P) arrive and congregate with the lads at the far end of the reserve. I expect you would have the place to yourself at night but if they are still there they will probably be quiet .

If you want to drive further try going past Tomingly and take the right onto Gundong Rd. From there it is 18km to the entrance to the NP. Enter the park but don't go right to the camping ground. Stay to the left and you will be on the eastern boundary road - it's wide smooth and flat. Go a km or so, to clear the camping ground, and find an open spot. Nothing but roos and possums to disturb you out there.

Otherwise there are plenty of quiet roads close to town. I expect that the area around the disk will be lit up like a xmas tree. Radio astronomers don't need dark skies.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you get clear skies.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:49 AM
netwolf

Thx David we tried the Dish , it was awesome views zero LIghts on at Dish when we got there about 10pm. Could not stay long rushed to get to hotel. Will go to Zoo today , there is another gravel campground towards Dubbo near the road will scout out in daylight on way to zoo. Mountain Creek camp ground. Or we will give Bogqn Wier a try , that is also a campgrounr but could be bussy with campers.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:01 AM
netwolf

David we tried Bogan weir last night only two campervans but mosquito's feasted on us did not stay long. But view was better than Parkes or equal to, we went much before moonrise so that may have been a factor.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:09 AM
tim.anderson (Tim Anderson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
David we tried Bogan weir last night only two campervans but mosquito's feasted on us did not stay long. But view was better than Parkes or equal to, we went much before moonrise so that may have been a factor.
If you are still around Parkes on this coming Saturday, the Central West Astronomical Society is having one of our monthly observing nights at our Cookamidgera observatory. It is about 15km east of Parkes and is a very dark side.

If you are interested, PM me and I will send you the directions.

Tim
Old 14-04-2021, 08:40 PM
netwolf

Thx Tim no we did not stick around just there till Easter Sunday.
But thx for the invite , we are planing another dark sky trip. I have many friends who want to go and each trip I am taking a different group. Fells good to watch there jaw drop when they see the night skies without light pollution. Hope to do something over winter when MW is more overhead at a reasonable hour.