Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 12-02-2021, 03:51 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlz View Post
I read about the multi star guiding and it's benifits, I downloaded the up to date software and changed all I had to make it work. Last night's guiding sat around the 0.22 arc sec mark if not better the worst was about 0.3, a big difference to 0.48-0.6 the night before. I would recommend to anyone to get the newer version.

Clear skies
Karl
That’s great Karl
I would be handy to know your make / model mount and scope / payload too that accompany those great guiding numbers. That information put the whole thing into perspective
I’m sure that Multistar guiding will provide some benefit for us AP’ers with the lower end mounts ( me included ) not the premium high end mounts as they are already getting incredible guiding
Martin
Old 12-02-2021, 08:08 PM
Karlz (Karl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
That’s great Karl
I would be handy to know your make / model mount and scope / payload too that accompany those great guiding numbers. That information put the whole thing into perspective
I’m sure that Multistar guiding will provide some benefit for us AP’ers with the lower end mounts ( me included ) not the premium high end mounts as they are already getting incredible guiding
Martin
Martin I have an older EQ6 mountbelt driven, 8in F/4 scope, a little piggy back guide scope, dslr and cables. I use Sharpcap to do my polar aligning and had it excellent last night too. In saying that I've had it excellent before as well and was still producing those higher numbers. Whatever settings you have for PHD2 carry over to the new version, only thing you have to do in settings is hit use multi star guiding.

Hope that helps.
Karl
Old 10-04-2021, 09:25 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I upgraded to PHD2 V 2.6.9 Dev 4 a few weeks ago and have guided in both Bortle 8 Sydney skies and Bortle 3 South Coast dark skies
So far my guiding has been unbelievable compared to the conventional single star guiding , at least a 20% improvement in both Ra and Dec numbers
Even in poor to average seeing conditions the improvement is still at around 20% improvement
IMHO a definite “game changer”
My EQ6-R with 8” f5 newt and all AP gear , dew control gear etc... ( 15kg on board) has never been as low as 0.65 total rms
Gives you a lot of confidence in your imaging sessions !!
Old 11-04-2021, 09:41 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I may give it a go, although pretty happy with PHD2 so far now getting a really stable 0.7 arcsec throughout a whole imaging session now after tuning the EQ5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
If you're using Ekos, the internal guider supports multi star guiding and works brilliantly

Andy