Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 26-03-2019, 08:23 PM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

Hey mate,

Welcome to the forums. As someone that travels a fair bit off road into the WA Wheatbelt (some of the best dark skies in the world) I changed from something I had to collimate to something that was pretty robust and I could just throw in and head off.

The other thing was as a beginner, collimating and such was not what I was looking for and moreover, the standard Alt-Azimuth mounts were not that great for Astro Photography (which I am pretty keen on).

So I ended up selling my Newtonian and going with the rig you see in my signature block.

The key there was that like most, I am a person of limited funds so I bought all my gear second hand by hanging around forums like this one (and Cloudy Nights and Astronomyforum.net) and landing a great bit of gear for often less than half the price.

So for me, a refractor is the go for ease of use and great results early without too much of a learning curb.

Some great second-hand ones out there to dip your toe in the water.
Old 28-03-2019, 10:21 AM
PTZONE (Mario)

Thanks Peter, i will keep that in mind.

For now I will stick with the Heritage Virtuoso Mak 90mm, I can get a price match from National Geo at $329 and then look to get a collapsible Dob ( if your is still available Allan) that can fit on the Virtuoso mount

Heading down the south coast and unlikely to have any wifi not sure of service so I want to be equipped to be able to know where to look in the sky.

What is the best way to know where to point to view DSO's?
I have a couple of apps Sky Map, Stellarium and Starwalk 2.
Old 28-03-2019, 11:31 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTZONE View Post
Thanks Peter, i will keep that in mind.

For now I will stick with the Heritage Virtuoso Mak 90mm, I can get a price match from National Geo at $329 and then look to get a collapsible Dob ( if your is still available Allan) that can fit on the Virtuoso mount

Heading down the south coast and unlikely to have any wifi not sure of service so I want to be equipped to be able to know where to look in the sky.

My preferred method was to get the binnos and cruise around the Milky Way..all over really...and when you see a glow or a dark patch investigate☺
Approach it as if you dont know what is there and see what you can discover.
If you cant find anything I would be surprised and by the search I suggest after a while you get to know the sky rather well.
I still have to do that in Sydney cause yhere is little sky and I have to work out what is available.
I do think searching for a specific object takes away from getting to know your way around..mind you when in the bush I could do this night after night all night☺
I first found Omega Centuri when using binnos on my boat just trying to see what I could see.
Alex
Old 28-03-2019, 06:54 PM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

Great idea Alex.
Old 29-03-2019, 07:26 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTZONE View Post
Will you also be out of cellphone coverage?

Quote:
To that list, I'd add the paid app, Sky Safari 6, and the free app from SkyWatcher in conjunction with a SkyWatcher WiFi Adapter , on the Virtuoso.
The WiFi adapter is a WiFi hotspot your phone/tablet connects to, to control the scope.

Not having a GOTO scope, I simply use Stellarium and Sky Safari to work out what I am looking at.
With a SkyWatcher GOTO capable scope and the WiFi Adapter, either the SkyWatcher app, or Sky Safari, can control the scope.
Old 29-03-2019, 07:35 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Also I do think having a wide field photo of the Milky Way to look at before is handy.
Alex
Old 29-03-2019, 10:57 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Printed material + red light or a proper (i.e. physical) red filter over any screen you use or an eyepatch over your observing eye while reading charts will make a significant difference to your night vision and how much you will see through the eyepiece.