ICEINSPACE
Most Read Articles
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON Waning Gibbous
83.1%
The Sun Now
Time Zones
Sydney*
2:49 pm
Perth
11:49 am
Auckland*
4:49 pm
New York
10:49 pm
Paris
4:49 am
GMT
3:49 am




  #1  
Old 11-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Marke's Avatar
Marke (Mark)
Registered User

Marke is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,092
Looking for my next upgrade scope

Looking to up size a little to do more planetary and smaller galaxy imaging and trying to decide which way to go . I seem to have 3 options a C11 XLT or Edge , a GSO RC12 or as an outsider a 12" Newt f/5 .
All have there pluses and minuses but I swinging toward the C11 Edge for its contrast, cooling and f/10 I already have an RC10 .
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 AM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 17,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
Looking to up size a little to do more planetary and smaller galaxy imaging and trying to decide which way to go . I seem to have 3 options a C11 XLT or Edge , a GSO RC12 or as an outsider a 12" Newt f/5 .
All have there pluses and minuses but I swinging toward the C11 Edge for its contrast, cooling and f/10 I already have an RC10 .
The C11 is a good contender. Have you had a look at the TAK Mewlons?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Marke's Avatar
Marke (Mark)
Registered User

Marke is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
The C11 is a good contender. Have you had a look at the TAK Mewlons?
I haven't Marc mainly because of price and availability I am aware of them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 5,778
If you want to do DSOs then the Edge is definitely going to be what you want. A 12” F/5 newt can do very well but their mechanics leave a lot to be desired.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Marke's Avatar
Marke (Mark)
Registered User

Marke is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
If you want to do DSOs then the Edge is definitely going to be what you want. A 12 F/5 newt can do very well but their mechanics leave a lot to be desired.
The Newt would be a complete rebuild which I am ok with as they are cheap its just at f/5 there's not enough reach. Wish I could extend the budget to a c14 but would rather upgrade my mount getting into that sort of money. Wondering if the XLT may be enough as there is a $2k price difference
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 17,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
The Newt would be a complete rebuild which I am ok with as they are cheap its just at f/5 there's not enough reach. Wish I could extend the budget to a c14 but would rather upgrade my mount getting into that sort of money. Wondering if the XLT may be enough as there is a $2k price difference
I'd say the XLT is more than enough for planetary. You don't need a flat field edge to edge to do planetary provided you keep the subject reasonably on axis.
SCT are easier to manage and collimate than Newt. Also plenty of backfocus and no balance issues.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Marke's Avatar
Marke (Mark)
Registered User

Marke is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I'd say the XLT is more than enough for planetary. You don't need a flat field edge to edge to do planetary provided you keep the subject reasonably on axis.
SCT are easier to manage and collimate than Newt. Also plenty of backfocus and no balance issues.
What about for small DSO Marc how bad is the curvature ? I use to have a 9.25 but cant remember what it was like you have a C11 dont you ?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 17,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
What about for small DSO Marc how bad is the curvature ? I use to have a 9.25 but cant remember what it was like you have a C11 dont you ?
Still works. Mine is an XLT originaly. The field curvature is not that bad if you're in focus. I also have a corrector but ended up not using it much. When you image at 3m FL you're interested in getting details on axis close up anyway. You don't care much about a wide and perfectly flat FOV. That's what the FSQs are for. I love my C11. Will never sell it. It has its place. Aperture and FL. And a great visual scope as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Marke's Avatar
Marke (Mark)
Registered User

Marke is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Still works. Mine is an XLT originaly. The field curvature is not that bad if you're in focus. I also have a corrector but ended up not using it much. When you image at 3m FL you're interested in getting details on axis close up anyway. You don't care much about a wide and perfectly flat FOV. That's what the FSQs are for. I love my C11. Will never sell it. It has its place. Aperture and FL. And a great visual scope as well.
Thanks mate pretty much what i thought . I am very happy with the RC just lacks a little contrast for platentary tho and would take a 12"' but I think the C11 will have a bit more contrast and a lot less weight
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 01:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Interest Free Finance
Advertisement
SkyWatcher 2018 Catalogue
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
SkyWatcher WiFi Adaptor
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
FLI Cameras and Imaging Accessories
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement