ICEINSPACE
Most Read Articles
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON Waning Gibbous
87.9%
The Sun Now
Time Zones
Sydney*
12:32 am
Perth
9:32 pm
Auckland*
2:32 am
New York
8:32 am
Paris
2:32 pm
GMT
1:32 pm




  #1  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:26 PM
PRejto's Avatar
PRejto (Peter)
Registered User

PRejto is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,264
Star Substitution Question

I could use a bit of advice please.



For the first time I've imaged a dim galaxy from a dark site. I failed to take into account that in my quest to capture the galaxy I've totally blown out all the brighter stars. When I stretch the galaxy is good but of course the stars are blown and too large. I tried masking the stretch but the result isn't great and there is no way they would have any colour. I think the only way to improve the image will be to replace the stars from a series of much shorter subs. I think if I try this after the images are stretched there will be a size disparity and I'm likely to get an unnatural looking result. Is it somehow possible to do the swap in the linear state perhaps using PixelMath and a star mask. I'm really new to the program so I could use some advice, or a completely different approach to solving the problem. I'm more familiar with CCDStack. Would substituting values likely lead to a good result?



Thanks,
Peter
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2017, 03:30 PM
RickS's Avatar
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

RickS is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,578
Peter,

Have you tried MaskedStretch? (as opposed to stretching with a mask.) You could blend the stars from a MaskedStretch with a HT stretched galaxy using a mask. It requires some mucking around but it is certainly possible.

Another option is to just reduce the bloated stars after the stretch. I have done this by creating masks for the larger stars/halos then using a little HT and/or Curves reduction. Smaller stars can be reduced with MT and a star mask.

If you push hard enough you might be able to find some colour in those blown out stars. A star mask and big saturation boost is worth a try. Blurring the chrominance of the stars a little with one of the wavelet tools (I typically use MMT) will also help colour up the cores. The new arcsinhstretch tool does a great job of keeping star colour too.

If you do decide to go the route of collecting some short subs then you can incorporate them using HDRComposition.

Hope that gives you a few ideas...

Cheers,
Rick.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-12-2017, 09:36 PM
PRejto's Avatar
PRejto (Peter)
Registered User

PRejto is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,264
Hi Rick,

Thanks very much for your reply!

Yes, I have been trying MaskedStretch and it seems no matter what I do I get dark rings. I've tried all kinds of settings, even stretching in 3-4 goes such as setting .04 in target background. The artifacts are always there. MS does work fairly well on my luminance.

I'll experiment with your other suggestions!

Thanks,

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MS-01.png)
32.4 KB13 views
Click for full-size image (MS-02.jpg)
28.5 KB13 views
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
SkyWatcher 2018 Catalogue
Advertisement
Interest Free Finance
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
SkyWatcher WiFi Adaptor
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
FLI Cameras and Imaging Accessories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement