ICEINSPACE
Most Read Articles
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON Waxing Gibbous
94.8%
The Sun Now
Time Zones
Sydney*
6:03 am
Perth
3:03 am
Auckland*
8:03 am
New York
2:03 pm
Paris
8:03 pm
GMT
7:03 pm




  #1  
Old 21-01-2019, 08:19 PM
NathanK25 (Nathan)
Registered User

NathanK25 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5
New beginnings advice...

After a few years of being out of the observing game, I'm wanting to get back into it again. I have a Celestron Advanced Series C8-SGT which I have loved over the years. However, I travel so much these days I need something more portable. I also got the C8-SGT for astrophotography, but I'm a father now and don't have the hours of sleep to spare for those long exposure sessions!

I want to sell the C8-SGT and use the proceeds to downgrade to something more portable and with a slightly easier set-up. I'm thinking in the vicinity of $1500 - $2000. So far I'm leaning towards a Celestron Nextstar Evolution 6. I'd be really grateful for any views on the Ev6 or any other advice on other options in this class (particularly reliability of inbuilt wifi and life of the battery).

Cheers

Nathan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Registered User

Ukastronomer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Llandysul
Posts: 263
Personally I don't buy kit according to what the manufacturers say I have to buy, I chose the mount that best suits my needs and for the future, hence my most used setup is a 72mm ED on goto, and a Gitzo tripod when I really want simplicity

This allows visual, AND Ha with a Daystar when needed and photography, the SINGLE fork mount also means you can swap scopes unlike dual fork mounts, even easier SkyTee T mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1060045.jpg)
104.9 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (P1050599.jpg)
45.6 KB20 views
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22-01-2019, 09:41 AM
sil's Avatar
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

sil is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra
Posts: 1,161
I agree. the tripod and mount is the single key component that is vital to get right. Then you can put what cheap garbage OTA on top to look through that you want, or something from an array of whatever expensive OTAs you have a collection of. the ota (optical tube assembly) is not even essential and certainly not tied to a specific mount. You can put a dovetail bar on a regular camera and use that instead, even for manual star alignment.

I do planetary astrophotography with a celestron skyprodigy 6 but wide field and deep space AP its just a DSLR on a stable camera tripod, no tracking or anything.

define more what you want and why your 8" is unsuitable and look for an alternate mount for travel. There should be options now that will take your existing OTA so you dont need to downgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27-01-2019, 08:02 PM
NathanK25 (Nathan)
Registered User

NathanK25 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5
Thanks very much Sil and Ukastronomer. You've give me some things to think about. I would very much like to keep my existing OTA if possible. My main reason for wanting to change is portability and ease of set-up. As I don't really see myself getting back into AP any time soon, I think an Alt-Az mount is the way to go. I had my eye on a Celestron Evolution 6 package because I liked the internal rechargeable battery, inbuilt wifi, releasable clutch, goto and hand holds on the mount. By all accounts, Celestron doesn't sell its Alt-Az mounts separately. There seems to be limited options out there otherwise though, I've been looking at the Skywatcher Discovery mounts, but they don't look to be able to handle anything above 5kg (my C8 is 5.67kg).

I'd be very interested in any views or advice you might have.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Registered User

Ukastronomer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Llandysul
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
I agree. the tripod and mount is the single key component that is vital to get right. Then you can put what cheap garbage OTA on top to look through that you want, or something from an array of whatever expensive OTAs you have a collection of. the ota (optical tube assembly) is not even essential and certainly not tied to a specific mount. You can put a dovetail bar on a regular camera and use that instead, even for manual star alignment.

I do planetary astrophotography with a celestron skyprodigy 6 but wide field and deep space AP its just a DSLR on a stable camera tripod, no tracking or anything.

define more what you want and why your 8" is unsuitable and look for an alternate mount for travel. There should be options now that will take your existing OTA so you dont need to downgrade.
:thum bsup:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Registered User

Ukastronomer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Llandysul
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanK25 View Post
Thanks very much Sil and Ukastronomer. You've give me some things to think about. I would very much like to keep my existing OTA if possible. My main reason for wanting to change is portability and ease of set-up. As I don't really see myself getting back into AP any time soon, I think an Alt-Az mount is the way to go. I had my eye on a Celestron Evolution 6 package because I liked the internal rechargeable battery, inbuilt wifi, releasable clutch, goto and hand holds on the mount. By all accounts, Celestron doesn't sell its Alt-Az mounts separately. There seems to be limited options out there otherwise though, I've been looking at the Skywatcher Discovery mounts, but they don't look to be able to handle anything above 5kg (my C8 is 5.67kg).

I'd be very interested in any views or advice you might have.
THEY DO sell them separately you just have to order them, I bought the package though as I wanted a SC, to find these two sites took me seconds, have you googled "Celestron Evolution Mount" as I did

https://www.highpointscientific.com/...od-12091-mount

https://grovers.biz/optics/home/7518...nt-tripod.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30-01-2019, 07:41 PM
NathanK25 (Nathan)
Registered User

NathanK25 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5
Thanks for the steer...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Wavytone (Nick)
BigBanger

Wavytone is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Killara, Sydney
Posts: 3,474
Jeremy there is a tendency for multinationals to geo-block Australia. Sure you can buy them as separate items in the UK, but not here. What’s more the international freight on large items is prohibitive to the point that shipping anything that size is effectively impossible.

It’s not confined to astronomy products either - it’s rampant across the many industries where the international freight costs for shipping one-offs are exploited by companies as a means to justify jacking up local prices here often by 2-3X what the sane item costs elsewhere.

Both EBay and Amazon have tasted the profits to be had by geoblocking to the extent it’s now it’s impossible for us to order anything from their uk or us sites - only the local versions.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Registered User

Ukastronomer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Llandysul
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Jeremy there is a tendency for multinationals to geo-block Australia. Sure you can buy them as separate items in the UK, but not here. Whatís more the international freight on large items is prohibitive to the point that shipping anything that size is effectively impossible.

Itís not confined to astronomy products either - itís rampant across the many industries where the international freight costs for shipping one-offs are exploited by companies as a means to justify jacking up local prices here often by 2-3X what the sane item costs elsewhere.

Both EBay and Amazon have tasted the profits to be had by geoblocking to the extent itís now itís inpossible for us to order anything from their uk or us sites - only the local versions.

That is as annoying as it is here, you are NOT alone, the 120mm Esprit comes with the £250 field flattner in the US but NOT the UK
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
SkyWatcher WiFi Adaptor
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Interest Free Finance
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
FLI Cameras and Imaging Accessories
Advertisement
SkyWatcher 2018 Catalogue
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement