Old 30-07-2012, 11:00 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

another, what next question ...

ok,
i have a 12" SW goto dob, which i got around easter and i am already thinking of planning on the next purchase... i plan on getting a long exposure setup...

initially i was thinking of getting a HEQ5 or a NEQ6 and throwing the tube on - of course the weight is going to be a problem i think the SWdob weighs around 21kgs. so that means i will need to get another scope or a better mount... either way, i dont think i can get away with a setup under $3k that will be good enough.

So my thoughts were a combination of any of the following:

SW black diamond 100 or 120
HEQ5 or NEQ6

somehow i don't think i'd be satisfied with the 100 ...

or ... going with losmandy G11 and my 12" ... the weight rating is 27kgs ... although i guess that would mean a step ladder but i could stagger purchasing and get a refractor later down the track with the dob filling the gap for a year or two. i guess another downfall is that the setup would be running at capacity which can't be good for tracking...

any thoughts or advice would appreciated. im not in a great rush to get something, but spending quite alot on my dob setup i want to make sure i don't have to go out any buy something again so soon in the too distant future ...

cheers

rusty
Old 31-07-2012, 08:11 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

A 12" on an EQ6 would definitely be pushing it weight wise. You have to consider that you will be adding Guide scope, camera gear etc as well which can add more than you suspect. The recommendation for astrophotography is to try to stay around half the rated carrying capacity of the mount.
I've got a 10" Newt on my EQ6 but I rebuilt it as a a lightweight Serrurier Truss of around 11 kg. Nonetheless with camera, finders, guide scope etc it now totals about 18 kg on the mount. Marginal but as the Serrurier design requires minimal counterbalancing it seems to be working.

I have bad news for you, you will always be buying stuff for this hobby ...