ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 25-01-2007, 11:22 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by albys View Post
No, it's from me!
A successful viewing tonight, such beautifully clear skies that I spotted McN (and got some nice pics with my none-too-fancy digital cam) even in the well-lit surroundings of inner-city Fitzroy. Well, getting into the middle of an oval did the trick. Quite a buzz to set eyes on the thing. "Be patient" is indeed the key!
Better tell us more in the discussion thread - when did you first see it - how long before it set - what did the tail look like - Did others see it with you etc. And pop a pic or two into the Images thread!
Old 26-01-2007, 12:26 AM
rossie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
OK rossie, let's see what we can do to help.

The comet is sitting there in the sky, moving pretty well the same as the movement of the Sun and stars as the earth rotates. So it gradually will drop to the west and set as the Sun did and as Venus did before it. I'm not right on top of the details, but from the time you first see it - probably around 9:15-9:30pm - until the nucleus sets is around an hour. The last bit of the tail you can see sets in another hour?

Now, get in position early with a clear view to where the sun is setting and a good bit to the south (left) of that. That's one reason I suggest the eastern side of the bay - the horizon is clear. You need to get your direction right.

You want to be able to observe where the sun sets and it will set around 8:39pm tonight. Without looking straight at the sun (BLINDNESS!), observe its direction - you will see it is moving towards our left as it sets and continues to move left below the horizon. This is useful because the comet's tail points away from the sun so if you have an idea where the sun is (below the horizon) you are pretty sure when you see something that you think has a tail if the tail is pointing away from the sun.

Now you still won't see the comet yet, probably not until around 9:30 with your eyes, perhaps 9:15 with a set of binoculars of around 10 magnification.

Let's look for Venus. So, to the right of where the Sun set, and up in the sky a fist or two (hold your fist out at arm's length to measure), a bright "star" will come into view as it darkens - probably quite clear by 9pm. That's Venus. Now go about three times to the left of the sunset, as Venus is to the right of the sunset, and about three times higher in the sky than Venus is high in the sky and you are in the right region. So we've gone further left (towards South) and up in the sky. Just patiently scan that part of the sky. Relax, it will appear by 9:30, 9:45 at the latest. In the meantime, note what Venus is doing, the direction it appears to be moving relative to the horizon, because the comet is going to move in the same direction, down and to the left. This helps you be sure you've picked the right spot to sit/stand. No good if the comet moves left behind a tree or building while it is setting!

Good luck! Give us a report!

Hi Erik

Thankyou so much for your instructions - I sat down went through them and sketched a map and off I went feeling a tad more confident!

We went to the end of Warrigal rd and down a little near St Bedes and sat with our thermos of Coffee and bikkies, watched the sun set and did all the prelimanaries as per your suggestions - watching the sun's setting position , spotting Venus etc .
At approx 9.28pm I spotted the comet in the sky and wanted to do a little dance around the park, however restrained myself - Just!

It was a very clear night with no cloud cover unlike the night before. It was actually higher in the sky than I thought it would be when I first spotted it.

I had a pair of binoculars and was very excited to watch it as it became clearer- I also was able to give another 6 people who were in the vicinity hoping to see the comet and look through the binoculars - one elderly gentleman in particular who wanted to see the comet but who's eyesight was poor was thrilled to pieces when I showed him how to find it in the sky using some objects on the beach front to line it up and then gave him the bicoculars to see it - his delight afterwards was really nice to see !!!

It was the tail that I found reallly interesting and it was quite clear through the binoculars but also quite visuable without and much longer then I expected!

Overall It was a fantastic night - only one pitefall, my bl**dy camera went flat after a few pictures early on and so I missed getting a pictures when it was darker and therefore more obvious in the darker sky - oh well! - these things happen!!!!

We stayed until 10.25 - the comet began to fade around 10.10pm - and the best time was probably around 9.45 - 10.05pm

Once again thankyou so much for all your help - cheers Rossie
Old 26-01-2007, 07:01 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossie View Post
.... one elderly gentleman in particular who wanted to see the comet but who's eyesight was poor was thrilled to pieces when I showed him how to find it in the sky using some objects on the beach front to line it up and then gave him the bicoculars to see it - his delight afterwards was really nice to see !!!
This is the "bestest" - giving others excitement and seeing them enjoy what we enjoy. I was able to do the same last Monday evening - it's quite fun offering a view through the binoculars to complete strangers and feeling the bond develop when they smile at the sight and thank you sincerely.

I'm glad you had success!
Old 26-01-2007, 01:17 PM
albys

Quote:
Better tell us more in the discussion thread - when did you first see it - how long before it set - what did the tail look like - Did others see it with you etc. And pop a pic or two into the Images thread!
Sure thing!
Story here - http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...&postcount=531
Pics here - http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...&postcount=496
Old 29-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Jason

Hi There,

I have just returned to Melbourne from Washington and was wondering if the comet was still visible for photography, and if so at what time would you suggest? Likely I have missed it...

Cheers

Jason
Old 29-01-2007, 10:47 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Hi There,

I have just returned to Melbourne from Washington and was wondering if the comet was still visible for photography, and if so at what time would you suggest? Likely I have missed it...

Cheers

Jason
You'll be fine, Jason - It hasn't flow away yet.

In the evening, it's geting harder to see naked eye over city lights. If you can get out of the city with as dark a SW horizon as you can, you will see it naked eye (clouds and bushfire smoke permitting!).

Look well South of the sunset location and well up above the horizon from around 9:30pm. A pair of 7x or 10x binoculars will help you locate it easily. Long exposures should bring the tail out, BUT increasing moonlight is washing it out, so don't wait a day or two. Once we are past full moon, the view might well return?

Last night, before cloud rolled in, around 9:40, I could pick it up easily in my 12x binoculars and it was just visible to my spec-assisted eyes (this is over full Melbourne night-time glow).

Or you could try mornings - look for the "pre sunrise" thread. I reckon any time from 5am, again well south of the sunrise location.

Good luck - let us know how you go.

Eric
Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Jason

Back in town again!

Thanks Eric,

Believe it or not I had to leave town again before I could read your response. From what I've read today it's now better viewed before dawn. Would you agree? I was thinking of heading down to the west coast (of Vic) and looking out to sea after seeing a Bells image posted. Can you give me an idea of how long this will be possible for, and at what time I should be sitting there.

Sorry for all the questions I'm a nubie!

Cheers

Jason
Old 03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Jason, it'll be getting harder to spot every day. I haven't looked for some days now. We are waiting for the full moon to go away - some days yet, and then we can try the evening sky again. Morning should be possible, but the moon will start to interfere in the mornings over the next days. I'd say any time after about 4:30am now - looking to the South of where the sun is going to rise. But I think binoculars will be essential now to spot it?? Anyone else from Victoria has observed recently and can advise??

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Thanks Eric,

Believe it or not I had to leave town again before I could read your response. From what I've read today it's now better viewed before dawn. Would you agree? I was thinking of heading down to the west coast (of Vic) and looking out to sea after seeing a Bells image posted. Can you give me an idea of how long this will be possible for, and at what time I should be sitting there.

Sorry for all the questions I'm a nubie!

Cheers

Jason
Old 03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

yep evening observations are the go now

I feel another prediction coming on, ... *fingers rubbing in circles on temples* and that would be, after 3 or 4 perfect clearest nights possible during the full moon and near full moon, in evening skies - the clouds will return with a vengence for adelaide
Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringe_dweller View Post
yep evening observations are the go now

I feel another prediction coming on, ... *fingers rubbing in circles on temples* and that would be, after 3 or 4 perfect clearest nights possible during the full moon and near full moon, in evening skies - the clouds will return with a vengence for adelaide
Will you stop all that "finger rubbing on temples" - you are upsetting the weather gods!!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:16 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

A brief addition. I went to check out a likely observing site in the Dandenongs. [I think it will be great - Melbourne glow to the west, but great views south and not bad north and east. And best of all, it's only 35 min from home!]

I could not see Comet McNaught with naked eye. Tracked it down in my 20x80s, but not until 30 min after moonrise. In anything but dark skies, I'm quite sure binoculars are needed to see the Comet now.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

It is becoming easy to see again after sunset. You have to catch it before the Moon rises though. Saw it really easy naked eye tonight for about half an hour. The visible tail is about 8 degrees but will get longer each night.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 AM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Quote:
Will you stop all that "finger rubbing on temples" - you are upsetting the weather gods!!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

I found this interesting image on 'Astronomy pic of the day'.

Explanation: By January 19/20 Comet McNaught's magnificent dust tail stretched for about 150 million kilometres (~1 AU), requiring images from both southern and northern hemispheres of planet Earth to take it all in. Two such views - from Cerro Paranal in Chile (left) and the Carnic Alps in Italy - are combined in this unique graphic that also outlines a perspective view of the comet's orbit (dotted line) and relative position of the Sun. Driven by solar radiation pressure the dust tail initially points away from the Sun, but also trails outside the comet's orbit. Astronomers try to account for the complex structure along the tail, including the pronounced striations, by considering forces acting on the dust (e.g. gravity, solar wind and radiation) as well as the release time and size of the dust grains. In the diagram, the modeled location of dust grains released at approximately the same time relative to perihelion passage, synchrones, are shown as dashed lines. The location of grains of similar size, syndynes, are shown as solid lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (mcnaught_deiriesfulle_comp720.jpg)
92.7 KB44 views
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Thanks Ken, you answered the question I was going to ask, I can now tell my non-astronomer friends down south to go out for a naked eye look at the comet again with the waning moon.
Matt ... that is an awesome picture you have found there !
Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 AM
avandonk
avandonk

Here are two maps made with Star Atlas Pro. The first shows a plot of comet McNaught's path from 11-02-2007 on how the sky looks at about midnight on 11-02-2007.

The second is how the sky looks on 14-04-2007 just after midnight when McNaught passes the SMC. I can put up higher resolution maps if anyone wants them.

I hope to image McNaught wide field with the SMC. The Moon will be a couple of days past last quarter.

Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Map11-02-2007_4.jpg)
123.3 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (Map14-04-2007_4.jpg)
125.9 KB33 views
Old 15-03-2007, 05:48 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

This SkyMapPro map shows Comet McNaught near the SMC from now until early May. The map's time is 4:30am EST and the zenith is up. (5:30 DST) The marks are two days apart. On 10/4 the comet will be 2 degrees above 47 Tuc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (McNaught+SMC.jpg)
41.1 KB23 views