Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Ziltoid

What was this? (Possible UFO sighting)

First, some background. I live in a suburb just next to Perth International Airport. I’ve lived there my whole life and I’m very familiar with the flight plans of the airplanes (I’m not an avid watcher, I just know these things).

Ok, so on Monday (the 7th) at around 7:30 pm my dad called me outside to check out a bright orange light in the sky. The first thing I noticed was that it was in an area that I have never seen a plane fly. The second thing was that it was making no sound at all (at the distance it was, I would think it should have been making some noise).

We watched it for about 2 minutes, within this time, I saw two things drop off from it, the best way to describe them is as flares, as bright and orange as the object, but much smaller, that drifted down and then disappeared. It seemed to change direction slightly, before the light seemed to split in two and then completely disappear.

Now there were many strange things about this, the first was the lack of sound, as well as when the "flares" dropped, they seemed to carry no momentum, they dropped straight down as if disobeying the laws of physics (like the bombs from that movie Pearl Harbor when they get dropped from the plane). At first I thought that it was maybe space junk. Now I don’t know too much about space junk, but for starters, it didn’t have a tail, it seemed to be gaining altitude and even speeding up and changing direction.

My dad did the sensible thing and called the police (before it disappeared) to say that possible an aircraft was on fire and dropping debris. After 3 hours, we received a call from search and rescue in Canberra saying that no aircraft was missing and there was nothing strange on their radar.

I would appreciate some logical explanations (I’m open to the idea of it been something else, but at the same time very skeptical) or if there was any activity in the sky that night.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Ziltoid and welcome to IIS, it would have been good if you had some images to aid in the identification of the object.

Cheers
Old 10-04-2008, 01:21 AM
omnivorr

possibilities... any military/national-security bases or training facilities thereabouts? ..any film-making/advertising production ?
the movements you suggest, ..tho' you didn't mention any relevant speed or distance to 'scale' by, ..I'd infer from your description, that a helicopter is a likely candidate..what looked like 'flares' quite likely were.. as for the light splitting in two then disappearing.. p'haps two 'copters, one lights off- simulating stealth activity or camera/directing-platform avoiding getting 'in shot'..returning to civil flight mode "that's a wrap" , then both departing.

..or it could've been Aliens..who can travel thousands if not millions of lightyears to get here.. then blunder around like lost tourists too afraid to stop and ask the locals for directions
Old 10-04-2008, 05:56 AM
CoombellKid

I'll take the second bit of what omnivorr said but add, since they hadn't
visited for a while. They noticed the new invention the "Speed Camera"
and were dropping flares to avoid detection and a fine.

regards,CS
Old 10-04-2008, 12:13 PM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

Could it have been a weather balloon high enough to catch the sunlight? Surely an inquiry to the BOM would help to confirm this. Otherwise the likely story is military related.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Ziltoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Hi Ziltoid and welcome to IIS, it would have been good if you had some images to aid in the identification of the object.

Cheers
Sorry, didnt have time to grab the camera and I didnt want to miss out on what may have been a cool explosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivorr View Post
possibilities... any military/national-security bases or training facilities thereabouts? ..any film-making/advertising production ?
the movements you suggest, ..tho' you didn't mention any relevant speed or distance to 'scale' by, ..I'd infer from your description, that a helicopter is a likely candidate..what looked like 'flares' quite likely were.. as for the light splitting in two then disappearing.. p'haps two 'copters, one lights off- simulating stealth activity or camera/directing-platform avoiding getting 'in shot'..returning to civil flight mode "that's a wrap" , then both departing.
Nearest military base is a quite a while away, and there is no filming in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_south View Post
Could it have been a weather balloon high enough to catch the sunlight? Surely an inquiry to the BOM would help to confirm this. Otherwise the likely story is military related.
Thanks, might try that.
Old 27-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Yogie-One (Paul)

Orange Light with no sound.

Ziltoid,

I have only recently read this report, and it instantly reminded me of something that I saw a few years ago. I am assuming that the light was moving slowly across the sky, posibly with the prevailing upper level winds and if this was the case, it could have been something that appears in our skys from time to time.

This is a hot air device manufactured from the big and very thin orange garbage bags, with a couple of those small tee light candles for heat and lift attached to a wire frame below the bag. They are a spectacular sight as the light up a bright orange, while floating with the breeze. The also have a festival in Asia somewhere, where they release hundreds of these devices just on dusk, thus filling the sky with these orange craft.

The debree falling from the device may have been almost spent candles falling but still lit from the wire frame.

Yogie One
Old 28-07-2008, 06:54 AM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Pierce RAAF Airbase isn't really that far from that location, it's a fair drive, but for an aircraft it's a couple of mins at most.
Having said that, I'm not sure they do much night flying or if they even have many, or any, 'copters. They may do, I really don't know much about Pierce.

Down my way there's plenty of unusual air activity with the Garden Island RAN base nearby, there's often helicopters doing night training, often with no lights at all.
They take off, do a rapid ascent, hover at high altitude for a min or two, then a rapid descent, then land, take off again and do a few circuits then land, take off again... this carries on for hours sometimes, figured they're practicing IR vision landing.