Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 AM
glend (Glen)

Dunk I think camera choice is a bit like car loyalities. Cameras may do much the same thing but its the operations side, and particularly the software control and mod ability that influences DSLR choices. Canons are a 'safe' choice for astro work, and a Canon buyer will get a lot of help here with any issues they have just because there are so many being used, modded, etc.
As you point out, recent DSLR releases can be smaller form factor, higher heat generation, and un-modifiable platforms, which while fine for normal consumers but not what astro photographers are looking for. I don't have a problem with industry trends other than there is no product stream that really is aimed at dedicated astro work. Sure we get the occasional 'special' model like the 6DA, and others, but they disappear very quickly because they are no 'mass market' enough to attract the volume that manufacturers want to continue a line. Astro people would be all over a modern design that provides deep spectrum capability, and electronics that can map pixels to colour profiles ( think of this as an electronic form of a Bayer Matrix). The processing power is available these days, why not be able to select pixel filtering as you can white balance. I might want to shoot mono one night, and colour the next using the same camera and sensor. I would gladly pay a premium for this feature. I believe true narrow band would still require filters but mono with pixel colour profiling is doable now.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

In my case, the brand loyalty factor was minimal to none...I tried to look at the "upgrade" as objectively as possible as the upgrade fund was precious and it's not like I'm a professional photographer with a lot of lenses.

The more I looked into it the more I started to see through the marketing and technological fluff. For the most part, most of the units for sale are in the same ball park. There are differences for sure, some might show prettier pictures on their LCD screen, but that doesn't necessarily give a better end result...each come with their own set of pros and cons as an imaging platform, and it's up to the "artist" to understand their equipment, play to its strengths and make what they will of the results.

My modded 1100D will still play an active role...I'm planning mod v2 even for what it cost me, and the enjoyment of working on the little beastie, it's worth the entry price.

FWIW, my point-and-shoot is a Fujifilm X-E1 which has excellent low-light behaviour, and I do use it for nightscapes and ultra-wide shots, but the lack of automation (besides an intervalometer) precludes it from becoming part of the next step in my imaging. It also happens to take stunning daytime shots