Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 18-05-2019, 12:48 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Filters for planetary priority management?

I brought or started this topic many times before, just I wasn't sure the path I should follow, so I will do it again with more details this time and see if it will help to reach a decision or a plan finally.

I bought many filters so far for planetary and it is now the situation where I have to choose which are primary filters and which are secondary although all or each can be important at some points, and the following are the filters that I have now for planetary:

LRGB
IR500
IR610
IR685
IR742
UVenus
Also extra visual filters set I bought cheap
Later I will buy CH4 to complete the collection

I have just one filter wheel I am using for this planetary, it accommodates 8 filters, but I have more than 8 as you can see, how can I sort it which I'll use the most beside LRGB alone?

Do I have to buy another filter wheel of 8x1.25" or I just can be fine with the 5 slots now? I don't know what else filters in the future I may add too, also is it necessary to buy an electronic second filter wheel or I just be fine with manual one knowing it is just a secondary backup or bonus filter wheel not the main primary one?

So to those planetary imagers, what filters do you use the most with mono and color cameras for planets and the moon (all planets possible)? And how do you manage them if you have too many anyway?