Old 26-04-2019, 01:54 PM
MPS (Mathew)

Meade LX 65, 8"

Hi All
Does anyone on the forum own a Meade LX 65? Im looking at getting this as I already own a meade.........and a skywatcher dob..........and celestron.......but anyway. I like the idea of the ability of attaching a second OTA for various reasons, out reach, narrow field and wide field observing at once, simple planetary observing with my zwo camera as well as physically observing as well etc. Anyway, if you own one please let me know how you find it.

Cheers

Mat
Old 29-04-2019, 05:06 AM
Malcolm

I've had some experience working with an LXD55 which has a 10" Newt on it if that's any help to you. Drop me a pm if you like.
Old 29-04-2019, 06:32 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Lx65 ? , never heard of this model , Do you mean as Malcolm says LX55 ? .
To add to the confusion there is the monster LX 650 , but this bad boy is in the proffesional sizes , like carry a 12 - 16 inch Meade SCT and these are BIG ? , read expensive .

I have had a little to do with the LX55 carrying a friends Saxon 150mm Mak and altho older these still work well if you take the time learning the way to use it , a bit different to Celestron and skywatcher as these are newer and still able to be up-dated .

I am not sure about Meades LX55 software updates , someone else might help here ,.

But all in all I found the LX55 system good if you take the time to learn it's quirks ,, and there are a few .

What sized Dob do you have , I would say a 200mm f4-5 is about max for a LX55 for visual , AP would be a stretch , eg. frustrating . .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS View Post
Hi All
Does anyone on the forum own a Meade LX 65? Im looking at getting this as I already own a meade.........and a skywatcher dob..........and celestron.......but anyway. I like the idea of the ability of attaching a second OTA for various reasons, out reach, narrow field and wide field observing at once, simple planetary observing with my zwo camera as well as physically observing as well etc. Anyway, if you own one please let me know how you find it.

Cheers

Mat
Old 30-04-2019, 06:48 PM
MPS (Mathew)

Hi
Yeah its the meade LX 65, Google it I guess. All going well it should arrive tomorrow. A chap on cloudy nights happen to own one and is very happy with it. Same optics as the LX 90 etc.....but better price point for me.
Cheers
Old 02-05-2019, 11:35 AM
MPS (Mathew)

Well my meade LX 65 in 8' arrived and could not be happier! Very good build indeed. Very heavy duty tripod...Very quiet motor and great optics.....Just terrestrial so far as it's been cloudy. The option to put my 114mm celestron tube fits and works great. At this stage ive just attached my finder scope. Easily disassembled into 3 pieces for transport as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190502_123012.jpg)
187.5 KB178 views
Old 02-05-2019, 12:14 PM
casstony

Looks good Matthew. I'll be interested to hear your report after giving it a run under the stars.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:57 PM

It does look good , I think this is the newer version of the LS ( Light switch ) model , those got great reviews a very good buy .

Like Tony I am also looking forward to a small review ,, and more photo's please .

Brian.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 PM
MPS (Mathew)

Hi all
Yes I can't wait to get out and have a look. We are having a flash flood as I type.....so a bit wet. I'll take a few pics etc. Never done a review but will write up a bit how I find it anyway. The optics are exactly the same as the LX 90 series as well. And about half the price. Tomorrow night if the stars align will be its maiden voyage. I was initially concerned about the single arm ' wobble' but this was so minimal and settled very quick during aligning the finder scope with my illuminated recticle. On a wooden floor as well.
Cheers
Mat
Old 02-05-2019, 11:02 PM

It's OK , mate the new scope curse happens to all of us .

Brian .
Quote:
Hi all
Yes I can't wait to get out and have a look. We are having a flash flood as I type.....so a bit wet. I'll take a few pics etc. Never done a review but will write up a bit how I find it anyway. The optics are exactly the same as the LX 90 series as well. And about half the price. Tomorrow night if the stars align will be its maiden voyage. I was initially concerned about the single arm ' wobble' but this was so minimal and settled very quick during aligning the finder scope with my illuminated recticle. On a wooden floor as well.
Cheers
Mat

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 02-05-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Hi All

Cheers

Mat
LX65..... this one

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/meade-l...RoCjLIQAvD_BwE
Old 02-05-2019, 11:43 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Lx65

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Lx65 ? , never heard of this model , do you mean as malcolm says lx55 ? .
To add to the confusion there is the monster lx 650 , but this bad boy is in the proffesional sizes , like carry a 12 - 16 inch meade sct and these are big ? , read expensive .

I have had a little to do with the lx55 carrying a friends saxon 150mm mak and altho older these still work well if you take the time learning the way to use it , a bit different to celestron and skywatcher as these are newer and still able to be up-dated .

I am not sure about meades lx55 software updates , someone else might help here ,.

But all in all i found the lx55 system good if you take the time to learn it's quirks ,, and there are a few .

What sized dob do you have , i would say a 200mm f4-5 is about max for a lx55 for visual , ap would be a stretch , eg. Frustrating . .

Brian.

lx65.......google.......here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lx.jpg)
121.1 KB121 views
Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 PM
MPS (Mathew)

Hi all....video link included
I had a chance tonight to take out between clouds.
It's an amazing scope! Very easy and accurate alignment . The instructions say I needed to use the compass eye piece to align magnetic north.....but it doesn't actually come with it. Lucky i have a spare from my etx 80. When set level and it slewed to its first object it was in my 12mm illuminated recticle, so happy about that. So the results? It seriously is the best definition in a scope I have seen so far. With my 10' skywatcher dob I have not been able.to see rigel kentaurus 2 stars, but with this they were sharp and obvious. The great Orion nebula had more detail that I have seen so far as well. The trapezium was pinpoint and sharp. Eta carinae was the most impressive with folded layers of nebula when I have not been able.to see so clearly before. Omega centauri and 47 Tuc were mind blowing and I could nearly believe I could see all 100000 stars. I'm very very happy with the quality and portability of this scope. I mainly used my 32mm plossel and my 13mm televue nagler with very impressive clarity. And the pin points of stars do go to the edge. When adjusting the focus there is a very small.amount of wobble but this soon settles. If there are any questions you may have just ask. But I'm really happy with it. Here's a link with a short video I took.https://youtu.be/o1dA3qMFhMI
Cheers
Mat

Last edited by MPS; 04-05-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Adding video link
Old 04-05-2019, 11:52 AM
raymo

There is something desperately wrong if you can't split Alpha Cent. with your
10" SW Dob, [unless you only had low power eyepieces such as 25mm].
raymo
Old 04-05-2019, 12:44 PM
MPS (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
There is something desperately wrong if you can't split Alpha Cent. with your
10" SW Dob, [unless you only had low power eyepieces such as 25mm].
raymo
I guess there must be
Old 04-05-2019, 01:07 PM
casstony

From your video I see you're living on a farm Matthew - no wonder you're getting good views. Good to hear the mount is working properly for you. If it turns out to be reliable it will be competition for the Celestron Evolution.