Old 20-06-2011, 01:41 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

Question How/where to modify a Konica Minolta 5D?

Hey all, I figured this would be the best place to post this particular question.

I own a Konica Minolta 5D.

I also know that astro-photography is expensive, so I'm trying to save money where possible. Thus, I'd like to use equipment I already own rather than buying new (or even second hand) equipment.

I realise that Canon is almost universally used for DSLR based astro-photography, and that there are a bunch of groups out there that will modify a Canon DSLR to solve the IR Hydrogen issue that exists in DSLR CCDs.

Basically my question is, is anyone aware of a group that can modify a Konica Minolta 5D for astrophotography?

Long shot I know, given that Konica has gone the way of the dinosaur, but I thought another IIS member might have had to search it out.
Old 21-06-2011, 11:55 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Adam, I've got a KM 7D which I've used for motorsports photgraphy in the past but now it will get used for astro pix. I haven't modded it in any way but I have bought a remote control which lets me control exposure past the max 30 secs it has inbuilt.
The few shots I have taken says the camera works quite well as an astro shooter and the lenses aren't too bad either. I'll go for widefield using the KM glass soon as the clouds let me attached beside the 4.5 on the EQ6 mount.
I'm not keen to mod it as it still gets used for other events but we'll see how it goes and maybe that will change. I have a T2 adapter and the big scope handles 2" through the focusser so later on I'll do some prime and report back.
Old 21-06-2011, 01:29 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

Thanks Zero. I was wondering what kind of adapter I'd need. I was REASONABLY certain a T2 would work, but not 100%. That's one problem solved.

I would love to know how it went through a scope in prime focus. let me know how it goes.

any idea where I might be able to get mine modded? or got any links to guides as to how to go about it myself?

I've seen online instructions for home modding a Canon, so its not inconceivable that someone has done it with a KM.
Old 24-06-2011, 09:54 AM
kitsuna (Adam)

Judging by the overwhelming lack of responses, I'm guessing modding a KM might be pretty unlikely. Pity.
Old 24-06-2011, 11:41 AM
gbeal

Did you look at the link I provided on CloudyNights, and more so did you contact the person who did this mod in that link?
Gary
Old 24-06-2011, 11:50 AM
kitsuna (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Did you look at the link I provided on CloudyNights, and more so did you contact the person who did this mod in that link?
Gary
I wondered if that user on CN also lurked on IIS.

To answer your question; yes I've checked that site; no I've not yet contacted the person who did that mod. It's high on my to do list though.

Thanks for the link. Its my best shot so far
Old 24-06-2011, 04:03 PM
niko

maybe not much help but I have an unmodded Canon DSLR which I'm really happy with and feel like I get some pretty good results. If starting out you could certainly use the camera unmodded, learn the ropes and get some pretty good results.

Do you need to jump right into modding?

cheers

niko
Old 24-06-2011, 07:16 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

An unmodded camera would be fine for some things, just not for nebulas, which are some of the most varied and interesting things to image.