Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 14-03-2019, 12:44 AM
raymo

IIS members' AP progression

Having made the transition from film AP to digital AP nearly a decade ago
when already in my 70s, and being almost computer illiterate, I pretty
quickly decided to stick to basics, so I have used JPEGs, unguided, and
strong in camera high ISO and long exposure noise reduction enabled, no flats or bias, no drizzle or dither, no laptop mount control, and no dedicated processing software, just DSS, and a little sharpen and resize in Irfanview for posting here.
I have enjoyed watching newbies progress, and I hope I have been able to help a few of them with non processing problems.
Anyway, the point of this thread is that I was wondering whether there have
been any others here in the past that chose a similar position in the mud at
the bottom of the Beginners' pool, or has everyone else progressed?
raymo
Old 14-03-2019, 03:17 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I am 60 and been somewhat into Astronomy for too many years as a simple hobby but I went straight in at Digital, I have always been INTO "IT" and built my own computers from 486's, and still do, my sons and mine.

What is wrong with unguided and JPEGs, as a professional sports photographer I never use anything else even for glossy mag entries to the Editor

I think the biggest problem these days is that you are MADE to feel inferior if you don't produce images like Hubble on a forum, me, I am happy with single shot images, un stacked. And my friend Patrick Moore was happy enough to use two in one of his book so no frills for me

Yes I know I am not the Hubble but I want to enjoy what I do not get annoyed because I can't get it "j u s t" right and constantly strive for the perfect image over the enjoyment, this is MY personal thought for me, others have their "own" personal thoughts that apply to them

Oh and I have posted this link, used by pro photographers for ages, best software I have used for noise reduction and it is free, I shoot often at 20,000 iso early and late for sports and use this so TURN OFF in camera noise reduction and control it in editing

https://noiseware-community-edition....?ex=DSK-1262.7
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Image1.jpg)
88.0 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (cropped.jpg)
199.5 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (Moon 2a.jpg)
131.8 KB27 views
Old 14-03-2019, 03:43 AM
glend (Glen)

Raymo you Luddite.
Old 14-03-2019, 09:11 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
What is wrong with unguided and JPEGs, as a professional sports photographer I never use anything else even for glossy mag entries to the Editor
Never did film so I can't comment on it but from hearing from mates who did it's a whole different skill set.
With digital there are many advantages shooting in RAWS. For a start the full dynamic range of the camera is used and it is also much easier to calibrate, stack and clean your data. Guiding will enable you to take long subs and increase your SNR. Unless you have a very good mount that can track for a long period of time, guiding is the quick answer.

Quote:
I think the biggest problem these days is that you are MADE to feel inferior if you don't produce images like Hubble on a forum, me, I am happy with single shot images, un stacked.
Well that may be how you feel but in the end you take pictures for yourself and get some satisfaction out of it. What others say makes you progress in the hobby by learning from other imagers so you should listen to constructive criticism if you want to improve. As far as what they "think" who cares, that's not relevant.
Old 14-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I mostly image with my mono camera now, computer driven, guided, etc, but I do often use a smaller mount (Star Adventurer) to catch some photons the “old fashioned way”

As I’ve said before raymo, you were one of the inspirations for me to jump in and test the water with an 1100D...subsequently modded and coldfingered...and I still use it albeit I shoot in raw and take a whole batch of subs...
Old 14-03-2019, 09:38 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well Raymo I find your posts very encouraging.
I have purchased a zwo narrow band set up but my motivation was to provide myself with a challenge and not so much to get better photos...because my colour blindness will probably always hold me back.
But I do it for me. I remember where I came from..a hick country town where astronomy was simply way beyond my expectations.

I do enjoy keeping it simple and the last week using the BWM (Bojan Widefield Mount) and unguided short subs at very high ISO has been so much fun...also I got out there shooting between the clouds on nights where I would not have bothered to set up the flash gear.

I enjoy playing with images after I have stacked them and the results are usually unconventional but I enjoy it and really thats what it is all about.
I think many beginning in the sport get put off by the more experienced folk but should remember if you like it that is all that matters.
Raymo you just keep up the good work of keeping the action going as I am sure you are directly responsible for many folk coming forward and having a go.
Alex
Old 14-03-2019, 10:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
I am 60 and been somewhat into Astronomy for too many years as a simple hobby but I went straight in at Digital, I have always been INTO "IT" and built my own computers from 486's, and still do, my sons and mine.

I think the biggest problem these days is that you are MADE to feel inferior if you don't produce images like Hubble on a forum, me, I am happy with single shot images, un stacked. And my friend Patrick Moore was happy enough to use two in one of his book so no frills for me

Yes I know I am not the Hubble but I want to enjoy what I do not get annoyed because I can't get it "j u s t" right and constantly strive for the perfect image over the enjoyment, this is MY personal thought for me, others have their "own" personal thoughts that apply to them

Oh and I have posted this link, used by pro photographers for ages, best software I have used for noise reduction and it is free, I shoot often at 20,000 iso early and late for sports and use this so TURN OFF in camera noise reduction and control it in editing

https://noiseware-community-edition....?ex=DSK-1262.7
Hi Jeremy
Do you think the noise reduction softeware you use has any advantage over Startools?
Alex
Old 14-03-2019, 10:46 AM
casstony

While I like the extra capabilities (but not the expense) of dedicated astro-cams and fancy software, I think I'll stick with a stand-alone guided DSLR, DSS and PS because it's low stress and fun.

I tried a trial version of Pixinsight and it looks great but it also looks like learning another language. The DBE is handy for removing light polluted backgrounds.

I moved on from jpeg after I started noticing spots through images (see attached image).

I might branch out into some daytime photography through the TS72 to add a little variety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc253 jpeg.jpg)
122.9 KB37 views
Old 14-03-2019, 08:57 PM
raymo

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, comments, and advice.

Tony, I've never seen anything like your dotty picture; I don't see how using
JPEGs could cause it. Cross fingers I have never even had a dust spot on any of my images.

Jeremy, I tried the noise reduction download, but it said I had to sign in to
Facebook or Google to do it. I don't use facebook, and have no idea how to sign in to Google, so I tried the alternative download, but it said I had to buy it. My in camera noise reduction does a pretty good job, so I guess I'll stick with it.
raymo
Old 14-03-2019, 09:44 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

appreciation

I am one of those that has had bennif from Raymo's advice both on this forum and in private communication. I am most thankful for it and I hope my pictures have improved due to it.

Chris

PS when setting up for this evening I had to take the attached picture, just so peaceful and attractive, so unlike Bart on this forum we do have a cow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF4740 (copy) - Copy.JPG)
187.8 KB50 views
Old 15-03-2019, 10:43 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

While not determined to stay in the mud, I do have some nice gear, but my stroke several years ago has left me unable to use it. So I've had to stick to what I can do with what old stuff I've already got... money doent exist for me anymore.

So i shoot DSLR on tripod untracked. I do use PI because I'm comfortable with it. When you comprehend what all the parts of an AP rig give you then you can find ways to adapt and compensate. It takes me so much longer to do everything in life, i only eat twice a week usually because there's more important stuff to do. So when i get the time and chance to image its a joy, and i dont mind taking my time to process. I find it annoying how so many expect AP is about throwing money at stuff and maybe pressing a single button to get stunning images. Nope. Doesn't work that way. Money only helps the possibilities of what you can do, but YOU still need to comprehend (its in the dictionary people) what to do with it. So many people have gear I'm envious of because they rich and their images are frankly garbage, clearly showing they haven't been willing to listen and learn. You can AP with any camera you have at hand, no matter how old, there may be some restrictions as a result but you can compensate when you comprehend. Anyone telling you that you NEED X, Y & Z is wrong. X, Y & Z may be nice and may solve many restrictions but if you learn and are patient you can do without them.
Old 15-03-2019, 11:35 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Jeremy
Do you think the noise reduction softeware you use has any advantage over Startools?
Alex
It looks like the noise reduction is achieved by a simple blur; detail is also reduced, so it's perhaps not the best software for astro pics.
Old 15-03-2019, 11:39 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post

Tony, I've never seen anything like your dotty picture; I don't see how using
JPEGs could cause it. Cross fingers I have never even had a dust spot on any of my images..
raymo
The spots were only present in some of my jpegs, perhaps where objects were enlarged more. It wasn't dust, definitely something to do with jpegs being manipulated in DSS and/or PS.

The spots never occurred in RAW though.
Old 15-03-2019, 03:27 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nearly 70 ( tomorrow ! ) and I've been in this since 2011 I think. I'm lucky in that:
1. I've been doing photography for 50 years, both film and digital.
2. I've been in IT support for about 22byears
3. I retired a year ago and have good health ( relatively) and some luxury funds.
4. I built the backyard observatory several years ago which makes startup quick and easy. And hopefully lets me carry on for quite some time.

I do astro mono imaging for myself, not for others benefit. It's a learning curve but by little steps I improve and learn more. I can take my time as I please and I have most of the things I need to just enjoy the journey. I don't need to contribute to science or beat someone else's picture.
The journey has taught me much including patience and keeps challenging me still to improve and beat the LP and other limitations. I've built a lot of my gear and have plans to do more.
As a hobby obsession goes it suits me down to the ground.
Old 15-03-2019, 03:49 PM
raymo

I suppose it also suits you up into the sky.
raymo