Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 19-09-2018, 04:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Sell it, Give it away, or Demolish it?

Here is my problem. My four year old ROR observatory, which I have enjoyed so much, looks to have no future in my new life. This is due to my heart condition, and likely relocation/downsize to somewhere nearer my adult kids. What do I do with it now?

Do I try to sell it with the house, knowing that many people will not want it for its designed purpose, nor understand what it is and it's value?
Do I try to sell it to an IIS member in the Classifieds on the basis that it was designed to be flat packed out on a trailer if required?
If I can't sell it (and I would not ask for much anyway), can I give it away on the basis that someone comes and disassembles it and takes it away? I am not likely to be able to help much with disassembly due to my health, other than pointing out how it was put together and reverse engineering the build.
Do I simply hire a bobcat or backhoe to demolish it and take it to the tip? I would hate to see it go out that way.
It is built on timber posts, so the floor structure could be cut loose, heck it is even feasible to slide the whole obs onto a flat bed car carrier type trailer and take it away as a unit.

The concrete pier and footing would be a problem, maybe I could pass it off as a bird bath mount, I would not want to have to dig out that footing, or the posts for that matter.

Any ideas or advice? Do you want it?
Old 19-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Would love to own this, but unfortunately you are in NSW
I will tell my parents about it anyway!
Old 19-09-2018, 04:56 PM
casstony

New owners would likely find a use for the building - garden shed, luxury dog kennel?
Old 19-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’d suggest that if you cannot sell it on IIS, sell it with the house. As Tony says, the new owners could either use it for its intended purpose (probably not unless you find a fellow astrophotographer) or just use it as a shed.

As another thought, you could get a cheap but nice looking brazier and say that the roof opens for sitting around a fire with a retractable roof but out of most of the elements
Old 19-09-2018, 05:33 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I’d suggest that if you cannot sell it on IIS, sell it with the house. As Tony says, the new owners could either use it for its intended purpose (probably not unless you find a fellow astrophotographer) or just use it as a shed.

As another thought, you could get a cheap but nice looking brazier and say that the roof opens for sitting around a fire with a retractable roof but out of most of the elements
True that. It could also be a cubby house. My grand-daughter calls it Grandpa's Cubby.
Old 19-09-2018, 10:44 PM
billdan (Bill)

I agree with Colin, when its time to move advertise the house complete with Observatory. Let the new owners decide what to do with it.
Old 22-09-2018, 12:15 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Glen,

I really feel for you and wish that real life would give me reason to help, but the reality is, where I'm positioned on the side of a hill with lots of trees, (approx 500mtrs from John Hunter) and the fact that I'm not using my own gear enough, it's not something I could justify.

All the best and take care of yourself.
Old 23-09-2018, 06:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Glen
Dont let it get to you and dont rush into changing things.
Folk around you say you should do this or that but often the changing is more trouble than staying as you were.
The house will sell..if the agent says otherwise all they are doing is putting negative thoughts in so you drop the price...they need turnover and dropping price is key...the reality is there is always abuyer for your home sometimes they come the first day sometimes it takes months.
You dont have to rush into things but folk will have you convinced you have to act today...you dont.
Alex
Old 24-09-2018, 12:09 PM
silv (Annette)

How would it make you feel to quasi-donate it to a school? You could phone a few or send a letter. That way your sad health problem makes an astro-nishing contribution to the future of many pupils and teachers. They'd have fun (and get to know frustration ) and you could live in your new home near your kids always knowing and remembering that.
Old 24-09-2018, 12:41 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Glen
Dont let it get to you and dont rush into changing things.
Folk around you say you should do this or that but often the changing is more trouble than staying as you were.
The house will sell..if the agent says otherwise all they are doing is putting negative thoughts in so you drop the price...they need turnover and dropping price is key...the reality is there is always abuyer for your home sometimes they come the first day sometimes it takes months.
You dont have to rush into things but folk will have you convinced you have to act today...you dont.
Alex

Very true.....