Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Jason D (Jason)

Hi Richard,
Make sure to report back when you experiment with your new autocollimator.
I assume you got the Astrosystem 2" autocollimator.
Jason
Old 01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I have a 2" cheshire and a 2" two pupil autocollimator arriving shortly from Catseye. Richard and I live fairly close so we can experiment and learn together on our scopes. (I've already fitted a hotspot to my 12" f5 mirror.)

Last edited by erick; 03-10-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
ericc (Eric)

Hi all,Jason makes mention of a small clip on led-- for illumination of the catseye triangle at night.
Has anyone got a picture or any info on this beast(as it sounds like it would be alot better than what Im using at the moment--a torch)?
Ta--Eric
Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Jason D (Jason)

Hello Eric,
Attachment photo is what I used for some time. I am currently evaluating a significantly better and robust clip-on light. Stay tuned.
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (clip.JPG)
25.0 KB59 views
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
ericc (Eric)

mmmmmmm--I like the look of that one Jason-------------and yep,im all eyes and ears for the next model.
Thanx for the feedback.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

I had a clip-on light like that from a $2 shop. You will many such options if you look in those kinds of shops. $10 would probably get you 2 or 3 that would last you for years.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 AM
richardda1st (Richard)

Would appreciate more appraisals on astrosystems 2" auto collimator from those who use them.

Last edited by richardda1st; 03-10-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:10 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

You'll find that clip-on for about $3.99 in the corridors of your Coles or Woolies. Be careful, the socket can easily fall out of the ball joint with a knock. I have a couple I painted red and use to iluminate eyepiece cases. I finally superglued the socket into the ball joint at the right angle.

Last edited by erick; 03-10-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:57 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Hello Eric,
Attachment photo is what I used for some time. I am currently evaluating a significantly better and robust clip-on light. Stay tuned.
Jason
Watching this space with interest. I have one of those clip-ons (white light) but I find that if the light is too bright the whole stack of 'Hotspots' gets lost in the stray light. Wondering if a narrrow beam limited only to light up the hotspot area only is preferable?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
richardda1st (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardda1st View Post
Would appreciate more appraisals on astrosystems 2" auto collimator from those who use them.
BUMP

Ps. Shipping for the catseye 2" ac is $38.00 US
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardda1st View Post
BUMP

Ps. Shipping for the catseye 2" ac is $38.00 US
That's a ridiculous price. Does it arrive at your place before they send it, or what..
Old 04-10-2010, 05:13 AM
catseyeman (Jim Fly)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroB76 View Post
That's a ridiculous price. Does it arrive at your place before they send it, or what..
This "ridiculous" price which does seem high at first glance by the uniformed is for USPS Priority International Mail service which is actually the lowest cost "insurable" venue for International Shipments. There is a standard $7 adder for packaging materials and labor over and above what the postal service charges me. If the customer agrees to waiver their right for a refund or credit should the merchandise be damaged or lost in transit, then there IS a USPS 1st-class International Mail option for packages weighing 2 lbs or less. If this is of interest by anyone, contact me for a quote.

Regards,

Jim Fly
CATSEYE Collimation
www.catseyecollimation.com
Old 04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

It may have read that I was having ago at Catseye, but that wasn't my intention. I am fully aware that most, if not all the cost, likely stems from how much the provider charges you. I was comparing it to my experience of the price of insured shipping of heavier, more expensive EPs and like out of the US.
So it was meant very much as a dig at the postal service's charges. Unfortunately, there has to be a base charge for a given parcel so it may not seem equitable for a light weight package compared to a heavier one.

While we are on the topic of postage..when I add an item to my cart on the website and go to checkout, the estimated postage to Aus is $0.00. Does this get updated later in the checkout process, or do you send a separate invoice for postage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catseyeman View Post
This "ridiculous" price which does seem high at first glance by the uniformed is for USPS Priority International Mail service which is actually the lowest cost "insurable" venue for International Shipments. There is a standard $7 adder for packaging materials and labor over and above what the postal service charges me. If the customer agrees to waiver their right for a refund or credit should the merchandise be damaged or lost in transit, then there IS a USPS 1st-class International Mail option for packages weighing 2 lbs or less. If this is of interest by anyone, contact me for a quote.

Regards,

Jim Fly
CATSEYE Collimation
www.catseyecollimation.com
Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 PM
catseyeman (Jim Fly)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroB76 View Post
... While we are on the topic of postage..when I add an item to my cart on the website and go to checkout, the estimated postage to Aus is $0.00. Does this get updated later in the checkout process, or do you send a separate invoice for postage?
For International shipping, you can order one of 2 ways:

1) Order directly off the website using the PayPal "add-to-cart" feature at which time you will not be charged for shipping. When I receive the order, I will determine the total shipping charge (USPS Priority International Mail cost + $7 materials & processing) for the weight and insured value and reply with a request for the balance due and a direct PayPal link for the payment.

2) Send me an email indicating your product selection(s) and I will return a delivered price quote (USPS Priority International Mail cost + $7 materials & processing) and a direct PayPal link for a 1-time submission of the funds.

If a customer requests 1st-class shipping (for the reduced rate), a waiver of credit or refund due for damaged or lost merchandise is required via email prior to shipping.

Regards,

Jim Fly
CATSEYE Collimation
Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Cool. Thanks for that..hmm now what to get
Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Pay insurance for your peace of mind. I had an order coming from the US for just under $1000 and didn't have insurance Both I and the supplier had an uncomfortable few weeks when it vanished. (My guess is that it spent several weeks in customs while they waited to see if anything further arrived from the supplier for me, pushing the lost over the $1000 GST exempt level). Arrived finally and we both exhaled!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Jason D (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Watching this space with interest. I have one of those clip-ons (white light) but I find that if the light is too bright the whole stack of 'Hotspots' gets lost in the stray light. Wondering if a narrrow beam limited only to light up the hotspot area only is preferable?
Jim sent me a new product to evaluate for him. It is a clip-on with bright and narrow RED LED.

http://www.catseyecollimation.com/cliplights.html

I was pleased with it -- Definitely superior to my original cheaper plastic clip-on in terms of usability and durability.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Sentinel

I can recommend the INFINITY XL autocollimator and the service of Jim Fly.

I don't use the autocollimator much but it an excellent tool to use to get the secondary alignment correct.

The CatsEye collimation system is excellent value and while I have a Glatter Collimator, I would be more than happy with the CatsEye system as my primary tool for collimation.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
richardda1st (Richard)

Yes every one agrees that the catseye is a quality item.
The catseye Infinity XL will cost me $138 US delivered.
The catseye Infinity XLK will cost me $167 US delivered.

The Astrosystem 2" AC will cost me $89 US (no extra delivery cost as I can add it to a current order).

But it appears that there's not many members using the Astrosystems AC to add some more comments.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Jason D (Jason)

I am interested to hear from Astrosystem 2" autocollimator owners about how well the center spot reflections maintain their positions when the autocollimator is rotated freely in the drawtube.

You might be interested in this recent thread at CN

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...l/fpart/1/vc/1

Jason