Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 27-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Visionary (David)

WO 3.5mm 110 degree extremely wide angle eyepiece

Last night I used my William Optics, 3.5mm 110 degree extremely wide angle eyepiece on Jupiter. At a less than ideal position and at a less than ideal time, the views were unlike anything I had previously experienced. My 8mm Ethos struggled to reach, this eyepiece grabs & holds Jupiter in high-def, the eyepiece truly "reaches" Jupiter.
I also have the 5mm XWA and the 20mm XWA and their performance was equally pleasing. Whats really different with this eyepiece set is the FOV, you can literally turn your head to the side and see vistas that were not apparent when looking directly through the eyepiece.
Old 27-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Last night I used my William Optics, 3.5mm 110 degree extremely wide angle eyepiece on Jupiter. At a less than ideal position and at a less than ideal time, the views were unlike anything I had previously experienced. My 8mm Ethos struggled to reach, this eyepiece grabs & holds Jupiter in high-def, the eyepiece truly "reaches" Jupiter.
I also have the 5mm XWA and the 20mm XWA and their performance was equally pleasing. Whats really different with this eyepiece set is the FOV, you can literally turn your head to the side and see vistas that were not apparent when looking directly through the eyepiece.
David, thanks for your interesting remarks. To put things into a better context, kindly tell us a little about the telescope that was used for your observations?
Old 27-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Visionary (David)

Sky Rover ULT 130 Lanthanum Glass 130mm Triplet Super APO Refractor Telescope

Bob,

I have a nice scope, a Sky Rover ULT 130 Lanthanum Glass 130mm Triplet Super APO Refractor Telescope. The scope provides sufficient "performance space" for eyepieces to demonstrate their merit or lack thereof.
Please don't construe my reference to my Ethos as a disparaging remark re TV or Ethos in particular. My eyes are an absolute mess and it takes a very particular type of eyepiece for things to work well. I am 100% certain that Ethos eyepieces perform brilliantly for 99.999% of the population, I just represent .001 of the population.
The XWA William Optics series has reinvigorated my desire to scan the sky, though my eyes are a mess, these eyepieces provide sufficient acuity for a cracking visual experience.

David

Last edited by Visionary; 06-09-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 27-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Thanks David,

It sounds like a good scope.