Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Solar Region AR2673

Have been out observing & trying to get some images of AR2673 just now. There is still a lot of activity around this sunspot , while I was observing through the Stage 1 PST , a small flare lifted up from the spot and slowly subsided again, over an 15 min. period. The looped prominence above the limb is spectacular as well, managed to get some crude images but I look forward to seeing what the more experienced imagers on the forum manage to capture.
Never got to see any auroral activity over the past few days either, there was a chance that they may have been visible from a little further south but the near full moon and the strong westerly winds detered from venturing out. I know they were visible in Tassie but from Wilsons Prom or Mornington Pen. Would love to hear some reports.

Clear Skies All
Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

Hi Jeff

AR2673 has been one of the most interesting sunspots in recent years with its beta-gamma-delta formation. We've been monitoring it like a hawk over on the Aurora NSW fb group and were excited when it fired off those array of x flares

Sadly the aurora from Friday's cme impact was not visible in NSW due to complete wash out from the moon Tassie/southern Vic got a great show!

Would love to see your images post them up!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks Mohammad

Have never posted any images and will take me a while to figure out how it's done and not sure whether they are worth posting anyway. I'm pleased with some but compared to what others have done I'm a little shy as I''m still trying to figure out all the processing required to get the detail out.
The visual observing of the sunspot groups for the last week have made the cost of the PST conversion worth every dollar and provided hours of entertainment. Will be interesting to see if the active regions survive until they rotate into view again.
The looped prominences were the first of that type I've observed, there were several large prominences on the eastern and S.E. limb as well today.