Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 20-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Hi Luca, from what ive heard a wedge is just too finicky to use for astrophotography, and is just a pain to polar align. right now id choose a dob. you wont regret it! then you can move up to a proper AP rig later.
Old 20-07-2017, 03:32 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Luca,

Thanks Random trial and error with my 16inch dob. I generally use my 6se for deep sky stuff via stacking.

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca.C View Post
Hi Mel,

That photo of Jupiter is amazing!

Is that through your 8 inch skywatcher?
Old 20-07-2017, 04:04 PM
m11 (Mel)

No problems, I reckon its a fun and interesting period.

If you are interested, happy to do a viewing session when the weather is clear to go through some of the scopes and show some deep sky objects that are the bright objects that look good from surbubia.

Also the view through binoculars as some objects are nice and can be seen in binos easily.

Regards,

Mel
Quote:
Hi Mel,

No, not at all! This is my very first approach to space watching!

Quote:
Hi Mel,

No, not at all! This is my very first approach to space watching!
Old 20-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Hi Chris,

As of the scope, I really don't want to rush things and make the wrong decision wasting money.

What is your second telescope?

Hi Luca,

It's certainly a very good idea to gain as much information and understanding as you can before jumping in, but I don't think that there's such a thing as a perfect single starter choice.

You asked about my other telescope...

The second telescope is a 150x750mm SkWatcher Newtonian on an EQ3 mount. (see pic below) In other words it's a 6" diameter "light bucket" that has a big primary mirror at the bottom of the tube and a small secondary mirror which directs the image into an eyepiece. The eyepiece is an interchangeable lens which allows the user to change the effective magnification - within a certain range anyway. (Cost me $699 new). Currently I mostly use it to take pictures. The 'first' telescope - a small refractor - is mounted on top and I can use that (and a smaller finder scope) to work my way around a constellation, taking reference shots through the Newtonian as I go). But that's just one way to use it. For instance, I could put the camera on the top scope and an eyepiece on the Newt. They are both classed as F5 focal ratio (reasonably "quick") and are fine for basic photography. Or I could put the small refractor back on its original mount for light and easy transport and quick viewing.

The EQ3 mount is an "Equatorial" mount which means it has more complex geometry than the basic Alt-Az mount (which just goes up and down and left and right). To work properly it needs to be accurately aligned with the South Celestial pole. They're a splendid bit of kit but a pain to keep setting up for a beginner.

Edit : Snipped some surplus information..

The first telescope is an 80x400 Skywatcher refractor that cost about $300 new.

“Astrophotography” covers a very wide range of possibilities too. All of my telescopes can be used for beginner star photography, but they have different strengths and weaknesses. I enjoy taking wide field views of particular constellations (using just a camera on a tripod) and then aiming at specific areas through a scope. But I (currently anyway) have no interest in trying to get the sort of highly coloured close-up shots of deep space objects that you can find splendid examples of elsewhere on this forum. It’s enough for me to get simple pictures at much lower magnification, and my current equipment is plenty good enough for that.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers,

Chris

The picture:

The small finder scope (top centre) gets me approximately in the right area. I can then explore and star hop using the refractor on the right. The Newtonian has a camera mounted in that photo, but a range of different powered eyepieces could go there instead. It only takes a few seconds to change them over. When in use, the screen on the back of the camera would be flipped out and there would also be a remote release cable attached. In the picture the EQ3 mount has been adjusted in such a way that it can be used in a similar way to an Alt-Az mount, and I don’t need to align it with the pole. The two scopes together cost about a thousand dollars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Scopes 01.jpg)
97.9 KB22 views

Last edited by Nebulous; 20-07-2017 at 10:44 PM.