Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 17-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Greenswale (Wren)

Image Stabilised Binocular

I have taken delivery of a Canon 10x42 IS binocular. I am not all that happy with the optical performance, albeit viewing to date has been from suburban Melbourne.

It would be super if I could compare notes with another owner. Anyone able to assist?
Old 19-07-2017, 11:21 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Those ones I use are 15X50 and not bad. I don't really have anything to compare them with though. They do seem prone to turning stars into seagulls though if seeing is poor.
Old 19-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Greenswale (Wren)

Thanks Paul - and remember that you introduced me to these things!

I have spent some time fooling around with them, and agree with your poor seeing comment. Other issue is the difficulty in getting to precise focus, has to do with gearing of the mechanism.

After spending a bit of time with them, and learning stuff, I am a whole lot happier. Nothing like being reclined in a deliciously comfortable chair thing, selecting something to view, getting on target and hitting the button. Bloody marvellous, although injury could occur if I go to sleep and have a kilo of bino (poetic, huh?) slip from my hands and belt me in the face!

Familiarity with them is the answer, testing shows that they are correct optically.
Old 19-07-2017, 03:56 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Actually that would be my biggest gripe with them (If I actually paid for them instead of them being work provided, as it is I can not complain) The focusser mechanism is a bit fast moving so you have to have a very soft touch to get good focus.

I must arrange myself a banana lounge one day for using them.