Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2020, 08:10 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Let's all head to Alex's place for a feed ... !!
One at a time, please !!

Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 AM
glend (Glen)

My daughter baked a couple of dozen Hot Cross Buns yesterday. Sadly all I got was a photo, as neither one of us can travel.

I did get my new electronic drum kit assembled in the music room. Some setup and tuning to do, and moving the Sample Pad to a dedicated stand, but already much nicer than my old kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF2183.jpg)
196.0 KB32 views

Last edited by glend; 09-04-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:10 PM
drylander (Peter)

Alex nice knife. There's also a utube video where a guy makes knives from old circular saw blades and uses a side grinder and belt sander that hold a good edge.
I'm going to facet some rough I have and also cab some other rocks with the off cuts into my tumbler.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:44 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I have a box full of new and old radio parts ( Bakelite Dials / Coils of various Values / Detectors / Brass Binding Post ) ...about 10kg's worth of weight.

Making ' crystal Radios ' is a hobby I mine .... so it's time to make another one or two.

It can consume a lot of time to get the ' coils wound and making sure detectors are correct values....etc.

These don't run on electricity or Batteries.... just use a ' long wire ' antenna and a good ' grounding ' earth .... and use a pair of ' High Impedance Head Phones ~ 2000 to 3000 ohms.

Col...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1 (1).jpg)
109.4 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (1 (2).jpg)
82.5 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (1 (3).jpg)
103.2 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (1 (4).jpg)
99.9 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (1 (5).jpg)
98.7 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (1 (6).jpg)
83.7 KB36 views

Last edited by FlashDrive; 09-04-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:28 PM
napster (Jonathan)

cool
Old 09-04-2020, 03:35 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Workshop

I decided to clean the lathe down and make a few parts for my scopes which have been on the back burner for a good while now. One thing led to another and so decided to sort out a few model steam engine projects which are nearly finished or part finished which probably go back nearly 45 years which is how long I have been married. Things like work, having kids, holidays, moving houses as well as amateur astronomy got in the way so I don't feel too bad not having achieved all that I wanted in my hobbie(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lathe - 1.jpg)
211.5 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (Lathe - 4.jpg)
213.3 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (Lathe - 5.jpg)
180.6 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (Lathe - 3.jpg)
199.7 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (Lathe - 2.jpg)
164.2 KB68 views
Old 09-04-2020, 04:12 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
I have a box full of new and old radio parts ( Bakelite Dials / Coils of various Values / Detectors / Brass Binding Post ) ...about 10kg's worth of weight.

Making ' crystal Radios ' is a hobby I mine .... so it's time to make another one or two.

It can consume a lot of time to get the ' coils wound and making sure detectors are correct values....etc.

These don't run on electricity or Batteries.... just use a ' long wire ' antenna and a good ' grounding ' earth .... and use a pair of ' High Impedance Head Phones ~ 2000 to 3000 ohms.

Col...
Love your work Col.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:28 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
I decided to clean the lathe down and make a few parts for my scopes which have been on the back burner for a good while now. One thing led to another and so decided to sort out a few model steam engine projects which are nearly finished or part finished which probably go back nearly 45 years which is how long I have been married. Things like work, having kids, holidays, moving houses as well as amateur astronomy got in the way so I don't feel too bad not having achieved all that I wanted in my hobbie(s).
Now that's what I call a Work Shop .... just walk out to the Shed and make whatever you want.

Col..
Old 09-04-2020, 04:29 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Love your work Col.
Many Thanks Glen .... pity I don't have a ' coil winder ' ....got to do it all by hand.

Last edited by FlashDrive; 09-04-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Great stuff Dennis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Great photos Dennis! I'm glad your wasps are so accommodating. The paper wasps at my place are absolutely ferocious, particularly after I accidentally run a hedge trimmer through their living room. They sting like the dickens.
Thank you Peter and Patrick, I appreciate your comments.

Wow Patrick, my wasps seem quite placid and good natured as gusts of wind have driven their nest into my flash diffuser several times with the result that they take off, do a couple of circuits around me, then settle down again.

I wonder if its because I shoot with Canon gear....

Cheers

Dennis
Old 10-04-2020, 12:27 PM
Photo Challenge
Photo Challenge Moderator

StayAtHome projects

Grab a camera (or phone) and why not post an entry into the monthly IIS Photo Challenge.

Think up some unique take on the monthly topic and have a go.

It's just a bit of fun in down times, and now seems like a good time to get into it.

Especially as the topic this month (April) is "ISOLATION"

It is "stickied" in the Terrestrial Photography Forum HERE

Have Fun, Stay Safe, Stay Home
Old 10-04-2020, 12:30 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Or!!

Guess WHO is the Photo Challenge stig???

Great suggestion!

Steve, blooming great workshop
Old 10-04-2020, 01:08 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

My social-isolation job is to iron out a few bugs in my recording console. I'm self-taught with all this but have managed to do a lot of modification to the desk. There are a few issues with a couple of input strips, so now is the perfect time to track down the causes.
Cheers
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0204.JPG)
132.4 KB32 views
Old 10-04-2020, 04:46 PM
rrussell1962

Quote:

Col...
Awesome!! A lot better than the one I built from the Ladybird book "How to make a radio"
Old 12-04-2020, 02:26 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I got a 6pack of Corona Extras and spent the day cleaning eyepieces in my motorhome............. keeping a social distasnce frm my wife who wanted me to du shome garderning... hic....
Old 12-04-2020, 04:13 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I got a 6pack of Corona Extras and spent the day cleaning eyepieces in my motorhome............. keeping a social distasnce frm my wife who wanted me to du shome garderning... hic....
Sounds like the motorhome would make a pretty schmick dog house if and when the need arises Matt which might be pretty soon
Old 12-04-2020, 06:57 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Sounds like the motorhome would make a pretty schmick dog house if and when the need arises Matt which might be pretty soon
Mate I have been inside it briefly, when Matt was at Coolah, it is very schmick. A very nice place to be serving out a quarantine.
Old 13-04-2020, 08:57 AM
alval (Alan)

Quote:
Nice work and castings, if they go back forty years the castings are worth a fortune now. Buying castings is still a bit rich for me, so I make mine from bar stock. The rest of my time has been fixing the little things that have been annoying me in my workshop for years but havent had the time or will to do before, probably got enough to last for quite a while unfortunately.
Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (220E7246-80D3-49C6-9D45-7F7AC8D083E0.jpeg)
146.7 KB32 views
Old 13-04-2020, 09:28 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
My social-isolation job is to iron out a few bugs in my recording console. I'm self-taught with all this but have managed to do a lot of modification to the desk. There are a few issues with a couple of input strips, so now is the perfect time to track down the causes.
Cheers
Stephen
Might get my old school analog Studiomaster 16/8 desk out and finally get around to fixing those scratchy pots.
Thanks for reminding me
Andy
Old 13-04-2020, 01:21 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by alval View Post
Nice work and castings, if they go back forty years the castings are worth a fortune now. Buying castings is still a bit rich for me, so I make mine from bar stock. The rest of my time has been fixing the little things that have been annoying me in my workshop for years but have'nt had the time or will to do before, probably got enough to last for quite a while unfortunately.
Al
Great little project you've got there Alan, a lot of thought and planning has gone into your design I'll bet. Fabricating is very satisfying as you can often find bits of old stock to make various projects instead of buying expensive castings. Most of my castings are Stuart Turner bought back when they were affordable. My pic of the vertical twin steam engine is their Swan double acting marine engine 2 1/4" bore x 2" stroke producing around 3hp. I still have to fabricate a lot of parts including the reversing gear. I am also making a Stuart Turner Cygnet engine which is the same as the Swan but only a single cylinder version. This is shown in the earlier pic with the painted red crankshaft which I fully fabricated. As you say we probably have enough in the way of projects to last a good while. I've attached a pic of what the completed "Swan" engine should look like when completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC01378.jpg)
207.1 KB34 views