Old 29-04-2018, 01:09 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Townsville Astronomy Group new site

The Townsville Astronomy Group has just acquired a new site at Oak Valley approx 15 to 20 minutes west of Townsville, we had a working bee to lay down a 20m telescope pad, we will be adding another 20m in the near future.
More development of the site will happen as funds are acquired including storage containers and a dome.
This is a 10minute time-lapse of Saturdays working bee.

https://vimeo.com/267063502

Al
Old 30-04-2018, 09:05 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

That's great to see Alan,

I hope one day I can join you folks. It's sad being so time poor, this hobby is lucky to get an hour from me 2-3 times per week in my own backyard.

Is there any advice from the oldtimers how to find time for this, whilst working a job (or two), family, etc?

Logic suggests blending the hobby with family time, but so far, only my 3 year old son is interested. Naturally, at this age, his bedtime is somewhat incompatible with the hobby

I have a lot to learn, and I suspect some time with experienced locals is a great way to start... Any advice appreciated

Cheers,
Andy.
Old 30-04-2018, 04:42 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Hey Andy you should come out to one of our viewing nights it’s only a 20min drive and you can get the young fella home at a reasonable time.

Al
Old 01-05-2018, 08:06 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle01 View Post
Hey Andy you should come out to one of our viewing nights it’s only a 20min drive and you can get the young fella home at a reasonable time.

Al
Now that it's getting darker sooner, that sounds like a great idea. I've been lurking the Tville astro group site, so I'll see about getting out there. You folks meet at the Aitkenvale library sometimes? I only live 2 blocks away.

Pity, I've been in the shooting hobby for 12+ yrs, but I can't remember the last time I went out for a blast. I have to wait for my kids to be 11+ before that could become a family activity.

Thankyou very kindly for your thoughtful invitation
Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Near finished site.
https://vimeo.com/274210155