Old 10-01-2018, 06:22 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

How good are Delites?

OK, be quick here as I am considering buying a 3mm Delite from USA. How good are the short focal length versions? I have a 17.3 Delos and I reckon the view through this eyepiece is better than all my Naglers and Panoptics. so what about the Delite (especially for high power in F7 refractors)?
Old 10-01-2018, 06:41 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
OK, be quick here as I am considering buying a 3mm Delite from USA. How good are the short focal length versions? I have a 17.3 Delos and I reckon the view through this eyepiece is better than all my Naglers and Panoptics. so what about the Delite (especially for high power in F7 refractors)?
Hi Mekon ..The 2 delites Ive had ..I sold here as I was dissapointed with them on doubles ..the airy disks look soo small in my refractor ...though thats actually a good thing.

I actually had to defocus to get better star colours..funnily preferred the view in a TS 3.2 ED!
On all else the're a perfect Ep , even at F/4.

Having said that, I prefer the view in my Deloi to all others (esp the 4.5 its better than a Nagler 5 I had) and so does my wife..nuff said.
bigjoe.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
I have the 5, 7 & 15mm Delites and mainly use them on refractors. I am very happy with them, and have/am considered buying a 3 or 4mm also, but have already brought lots of items recently.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:25 AM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

I recently purchased a 3mm DeLite, but am yet to get a chance to use it. Will give you a report once I have!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:01 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstar View Post
I recently purchased a 3mm DeLite, but am yet to get a chance to use it. Will give you a report once I have!
It should go well Rod and interested to test it out with you. I am yet to try a Delite !! I have tried just about everything else made in the last 50 years.

It will obviously see more use in the refractors than the Newtonians due to seeing limitations. In the 10" Skywatcher it gives just under 400X which is about the same as what my 3.5mm Pentax XW gives my in my 10:/F5.3 SDM. I certainly can't use it all the time, but on good seeing nights it gets plenty of use on the moon.

Cheers
John B
Old 12-01-2018, 04:15 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Thanks all who replied. I have missed out on the 3mm Delite listed on CN for US$175, so it is all a bit academic now. 3mm will give me 232x in my AT106mm and 308x in my 132mm CFF. Very high magnifications which I may only use once or twice a year, but good to have. Looks like I will wait until the inevitable Televue sale.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Thanks all who replied. I have missed out on the 3mm Delite listed on CN for US$175, so it is all a bit academic now. 3mm will give me 232x in my AT106mm and 308x in my 132mm CFF. Very high magnifications which I may only use once or twice a year, but good to have. Looks like I will wait until the inevitable Televue sale.
See Optcorp has a 17% off TV sale at the moment
Old 12-01-2018, 11:47 PM
Allan

Hi John. I got to test the Delite prototypes with Al Nagler, certainly one of the thrills I've had observing for sure. It was clear to both of us that they were outperforming the Ethos we were comparing them to, so that speaks to their pedigree.

But you know, I've seen the Delos do the same thing to the Ethos, so in my mind there's not a lot of reason to pick up a Delite unless cost and form factor/weight are your primary concerns. The extra FOV in the Delos is noticeably enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. The 3.5mm Delos is a very nice eyepiece.
Old 13-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
It should go well Rod and interested to test it out with you. I am yet to try a Delite !! I have tried just about everything else made in the last 50 years.

It will obviously see more use in the refractors than the Newtonians due to seeing limitations. In the 10" Skywatcher it gives just under 400X which is about the same as what my 3.5mm Pentax XW gives my in my 10:/F5.3 SDM. I certainly can't use it all the time, but on good seeing nights it gets plenty of use on the moon.

Cheers
John B
Thanks John. I have never really had anything capable of producing super-high powered observing on those rare nights where seeing is rock-solid. Using the 3mm DeLite with the Glenfallus I will get about 740x, and with 2x Powermate 1480x. If I EVER get the chance to go close to 1500x I will be very very happy!
Old 13-01-2018, 10:19 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
It should go well Rod and interested to test it out with you.
Cheers
John B
Count me in fellas.

RB
Old 13-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Count me in fellas.

RB
Hi RB, be assured, as soon as the Glenfallus is delivered, I will be up to the Pony Club to put it through its paces! Will be good to see you buddy!
Old 13-01-2018, 07:29 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Count me in fellas.

RB
Hi RB

Always a pleasure to spend time under the stars with you RB.

Since my move to the South Coast unfortunately I just dont get the time to observe with you and Phil and Rod that I used to. Living 250km away probably doesn't help !

I am in the process of selling a house on the central coast (if I can ever get the tenant out) and I will be back to the Central Coast on several weekends over the next couple of months.

While it would be great if Rod's scope is finished, we can at least get together with our other scopes. Like it's not as if we have a shortage of scopes and eyepieces between us.

Cheers
John B
Old 13-01-2018, 10:03 PM
RB (Andrew)

It's always a pleasure guys.
Looking forward to meeting up.
The scopes and EPs are just a bonus.
John, I hope all goes well and according to plan for you.
Rod, the new scope sounds so exciting.
I've recently got all my gear out, scopes and EPs to make sure all is well.
Haven't used them in a while so was worried, but all is well.
Interested to see how the new DeLite performs too.
Might have to upgrade the collection after that.

RB