Old 29-07-2009, 08:25 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

choice of CCD camera advice

I know this is a little premature but I was considering buying a 10" GSO RC when they become available.
If and when I do, I want to also get a mono CCD camera to complement the scope.
I have read a lot of info on cameras and the vast variety available and their different specifications is a little bewildering.
Any thoughts on what would be suitable for this scope? I was hoping in the range of no more than $4000 as I am trying to keep this as an affordable hobby. Filter wheel and filters will blow that out a lot I am sure. I currently use a 1000D but want to move up.
I also have an ED127 refractor from North Optics. Is there something that would be suitable for both scopes?
Thanks
Frank
Old 29-07-2009, 08:35 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterguru View Post
I know this is a little premature but I was considering buying a 10" GSO RC when they become available.
If and when I do, I want to also get a mono CCD camera to complement the scope.
I have read a lot of info on cameras and the vast variety available and their different specifications is a little bewildering.
Any thoughts on what would be suitable for this scope? I was hoping in the range of no more than $4000 as I am trying to keep this as an affordable hobby. Filter wheel and filters will blow that out a lot I am sure. I currently use a 1000D but want to move up.
I also have an ED127 refractor from North Optics. Is there something that would be suitable for both scopes?
Thanks
Frank
The QHY cameras seem to offer bang for your buck. Or perhaps a 2nd hand SBIG off Astromart. Often they come with filter wheel and filters.
QHY 8300 chip would be good. The RC would probably ideally do best with a 11000 chip. The 8300 chip would be quite magnified as an image and make small objects like galaxies quite large. A 11000 chip (like used in Sbig STL11) would probably suit both scopes the best.

Not sure what a QHY with a 11000 chip (now 11002 chip) costs. It might be close.

My advice would be the biggest mono chip you can get for your money.

4020 chip also seems a nice one (4megapixels).

Here is a link to the Aussie dealer for QHY:

http://web.aanet.com.au/gama/

I see the QHY9 (KAF8300 chip) is AUD$3500 or so.

An Apogee U8300 (same chip but probably better performance and electronics) is US$3995 + shipping and GST so closer to AUD$5000

You can get a FLI Microline 8300 for US$3995 also. If you can afford it the FLI Microline 8300 would be my choice. I have one and it is one top of the line nothing better camera.

Or get the QHY with the 11002 chip which would be a competitor for an SBIG STL and a lot cheaper (but a lot less features). STL11 already has a built in filter wheel and it does self guiding so you take away the cost of the autoguiding setup which could be worth AUD$1500 or more.

So a 2nd hand STL11 goes for about US$6000 including filters and filter wheel. Probably too much but thought I'd mention it as it is a top of the line type camera. Look on www.astromart.com there's always one for sale just about.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 29-07-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 29-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Gama

Greg summed it up correctly except for a couple of minor things.
There is no "Better Electronics". Sbig, FLI, Apogee, QHY etc make great cameras. You need to look at "Features", which is what Greg is probably trying to say. All will produce low noise, high speed images, and cooling is similar, all above -50 delta these days. However, your noise after a certain point doesnt make much of a difference, hence, as Greg said, look at the second hand Sbigs as well. The CCD's are smaller again, but they are great cameras, and some really sweet deals out there.
But if your stuck on the 8300, then i suggest you look at any camera with that sensor, and see how the image scale of objects look like.
I use my QHY-9 on my CDK, and that has a much longer FL than the 10" RC, and i find it fine. It is a little on the smaller side, but i am pretty pleased with the CCD overall.
QSI also makes great cameras, and again, another choice.
So for now, just check out the images produced by the Kodak 8300 CCD sensor and think about it.

Theo.
Old 30-07-2009, 07:05 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Greg and Theo, thanks for the info.

I should say that I have a particular project in mind when buying the new scope and CCD camera.

What I want to do is to image as many of the Arp peculiar galaxies as I can.

Obviously that won't be all 338 but there are a number visible from the southern hemisphere.

Would this influence the type of camera that I purchase? I was hoping that the GSO RC would be a good scope for this project as well.

Thanks

Frank
Old 30-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Most of the arp galaxies are relatively small objects to image.

You can use a CCD calculator here to work out some parameters of your setup such as FOV and resolution.
Old 30-07-2009, 08:49 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Thanks Kal,

I also seem to remember seeing another site that had an actually picture of a stellar object and as you selected the scope dimensions and camera information it would show you the size of the fov in real terms of the stellar image on the screen.
I can't remember where it is though. Been looking for it but can't find it.

Frank
Old 30-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

You might be thinking of Ron Wodaski's CCD Calculator which you can get from http://www.newastro.com/

It is a program that you need to install. There's probably other websites out there that I am not familiar with though that you might also be remembering.
Old 30-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Gama

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterguru View Post
Greg and Theo, thanks for the info.

I should say that I have a particular project in mind when buying the new scope and CCD camera.

What I want to do is to image as many of the Arp peculiar galaxies as I can.

Obviously that won't be all 338 but there are a number visible from the southern hemisphere.

Would this influence the type of camera that I purchase? I was hoping that the GSO RC would be a good scope for this project as well.

Thanks

Frank
All the cameras mentioned earlier will do the job.
You need good QE, and a fair sized sensor with good cooling.

Look for a good deal compare images from different sensors, and then think about it a little longer. Dont rush out and get the first one you see.

Theo.