Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 16-07-2009, 03:42 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

To add a bit to Duncans question, "isnt there anything else? something cheaper?" everyone seems to be suggesting to go from the higher end of the DSLRs (the 20D and 5D models modded or unmodded) to the cooled CCDs like the QHY8 as the next step. No mention has been made of the low end CCDs like the DMK31, DMK41, Meade DSI-III, or Orion StarShoot DeepSpace CCDs.

Are these CCDs not worth the money/effort/experience? Are there significant performance issues with them? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks
Darrell
Old 16-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Darrell, all of those are video cameras and are more suited to planetary imaging. The Orion is the only cooled one there and it's sensor isn't small, it's tiny. Even the online blurb for the orion points out that it makes a great guide camera. If they aren't cooled they'll be noisey in long exposures. I bought a 2nd hand DSI as a first camera and got some nice moon shots out of it, but it became a guide camera for a DSLR within 6 months

[edit]
However some people seem to get great images out of the DSI.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=47247

Last edited by Tandum; 16-07-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 16-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Paul Haese

Darrell, the question was about the cooled DSLR and CCD (high end). many say the mount is the biggest asset and I reckon the second biggest is the capture camera. Better to buy top end rather than going way too cheap. Robin also is on the money, those cameras except for the last one are really only good for planetary work or guiding.
Old 16-07-2009, 07:32 PM
rat156

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
Stuart this is NOT a how to. It is a simple question of comparative outcomes as far as a hypothetical imaging device is concerned. The original question was which is better.

Bert
Well excuse me...

But when you say things like "I started out with" and "the chain is" implies that you were referring to a list of how to go about moving from one level to another.

I reread the question and indeed the question is related to noise/sensitivity, I was merely responding to the meanderings of the thread. I thought that's what forums were about, getting in and discussing the merits or otherwise of others opinions.

I'll only post now when I have something particular to say about the topic as posted by the originator to avoid being shouted at.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 16-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Gezz guys, take it easy, how long have you been talking on forums? It's just so hard to get your thoughts across that this always happens. One person says this and another takes it to mean that. Stop taking things so litterally, we are just thumping away on keyboards on the run, it's not a manifesto.
Old 16-07-2009, 11:17 PM
leon

Quite true Robin, it can be so hard sometimes, because words have no facial expressions or emotions and can be taken the wrong way.

Leon
Old 17-07-2009, 08:57 AM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Darell is right, i was kinda asking with a slant to "are cheaper CCD's any good?"

so, the entire range of Meade DSI products are not even worth considering?

Old 17-07-2009, 09:32 AM
rat156

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Quite true Robin, it can be so hard sometimes, because words have no facial expressions or emotions and can be taken the wrong way.

Leon
Words deliberately typed in capitals DO take on extra meaning (see). Bert's comments were rude. If he didn't mean them to be, he should chose his words more carefully.

Now back to the point of the thread.

The Meade DSI cameras suffer from the problem of not having a peltier cooler to control noise. I have not used a DSIPro3, but had it's predecessor. As an introduction to LRGB imaging they are OK at best, the lack of active cooling means that you have to take darks at the same time as your lights, might as well get a decent DSLR for the price of the DSIPro3. For long exposures (>30 secs, mount dependent) you're gunna need a guidescope etc. You would be better off buying a secondhand SBig ST-7 series camera, or a Starlight Express if you wanted to go monochrome.

I should add that some people here are using the DSI's really well, I admire their persistence.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 18-07-2009, 06:34 PM
avandonk
avandonk

If you look at what I said I did not want to have another slanging match of what is better. Unfortunately it did as usual. My opinion is no better than anyone elses. I will now refrain to attempt to give any advice and retire to my hidden Pacific Island where I will plot to take over the world!
I need to stroke my white cat! Meade of course!

Bert
Old 22-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Tandum (Robin)

There's one not mentioned here, the Orion ShootStar Pro 2. It's a 6.1 mega Pixel cooled 16bit CCD camera. So similar to the QHY8 but I think only single stage cooling not dual stage so it won't get as cold. Bintel show it for $2500.