Old 24-05-2012, 05:57 PM
naskies (Dave)

Powering Canon 5DmkII from a 12V battery

Does anyone know of a quality off-the-shelf solution for running a Canon 5DmkII (and possibly 20D) off a 12V deep cycle battery?

I see mentions of a Hutech solution online, but can't seem to actually find a supplier.

With the cooler weather, I'm finding that my Canon 5DmkII's batteries don't last long with LiveView drift aligning and continuous shooting... I ran through two fully-charged batteries by 2 am!
Old 24-05-2012, 08:14 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Dave,

I followed Alex's lead for my D800. I bought the false battery that has a plug attached to it that is intended to be attached to the Nikon AC adapter and soldered it to a 12V to 9V power supply from Jaycar.

Worked fine last weekend.

DT
Old 24-05-2012, 11:21 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

The false E6 battery is available as the DR-E6.
The Canon ACK-E6 240v power supply(which includes the DR-E6) has a regulated 8v output up to 3 amps. I'm sure there are 12v to 8v power supplies out there. Jaycar only has one that does 7.5v and 9v, no 8.
It may work on 7.5v but dunno. It only has 2A output but think that would be fine.

If you're handy with a soldering iron there are a few 8v regulator IC's out there... the cheapest but least efficient would be the 7508.
Old 25-05-2012, 08:45 AM
mplanet62 (Michael)

The simplest way to go would be 12v to 240v DC to AC inverter (can be bought quite cheap) and factory made AC adapter with dummy battery (quite expensive but reasonably safe). This set is not terribly energy efficient, but with the large battery that barely matters - and it can be used with car battery. 9v supply is risky - it may shorten camera electronics lifespan, especially when used in summer warmth. Also, see this:http://www.camerahacker.com/myink/Vi...ital%20Cameras
Old 25-05-2012, 09:18 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Dave, I made a 12V power supply for my 40D. Used a spare AC adapter as the others have recommended, used a 12V to whatever-40D-needed-but-can't-remember-volt power supply. It worked, but found it a bit flaky. I recall one night the camera just played up on me. Put batteries in and all good, so put it down to the power supply.

I know for my 5DII I'll be using the the genuine 240V AC adapter and a 12V to 240V inverter. I know it's less efficient in terms of converting DC to AC to DC again, but I think most 12V batteries would well and truly be enough for an all-nighter for a 5DII.
Old 25-05-2012, 09:19 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

On a related note, has anyone got a link to a good (after-market) 240V AC adapter for the 5D Mk II?
Old 25-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
On a related note, has anyone got a link to a good (after-market) 240V AC adapter for the 5D Mk II?
I just use a cheapie of eBay Mike. Works well, and it's been out in the cold and dew many times. $15 delivered. I'd rather have a gazillion dollar Canon equivalent but haven't bothered since this one has been faultless so far.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-Power-...ht_6842wt_1180
Old 25-05-2012, 09:44 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Sorry I can't help there Mike. If I was looking for one, I'd just go eBay. But after the flaky power supply issue I mentioned above, I concluded that the cameras are a bit sensitive to fluctuations and decided that it was genuine Canon for power for me from then on.

Oh snap. Chris posted while I was typing.
Old 25-05-2012, 09:53 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
I just use a cheapie of eBay Mike. Works well, and it's been out in the cold and dew many times. $15 delivered. I'd rather have a gazillion dollar Canon equivalent but haven't bothered since this one has been faultless so far.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-Power-...ht_6842wt_1180
Thanks Chris, ordered.
Old 25-05-2012, 12:06 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

I have just ordered one of the following to evaluate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-DC-Co...item2a18fae6eb

4 to 40v input, adjustable 1.5 to 35v out.
Looking at the datasheet for the LM2596, it should run at about 85% efficiency with 12v input 8v output.
Being a switching regulator I will test it to see how clean the output is and the stability of the regulation, also how much RFI it generates before putting it into service.
Old 26-05-2012, 09:30 AM
naskies (Dave)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm a little reluctant to run 240V AC around the scope for safety reasons, since I'm usually set up in a grass paddock with lots of dew around and randomly tripping over things in the dark.

The Canon genuine 5DmkII's batteries are rated as 7.2V, but the genuine AC adapter output is rated around 8.1V - seems like the camera is somewhat flexible with voltages?

Hopefully, Jaycar's 12V -> 7.5V adapter will work well with a DC coupler.
Old 26-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm a little reluctant to run 240V AC around the scope for safety reasons, since I'm usually set up in a grass paddock with lots of dew around and randomly tripping over things in the dark.

The Canon genuine 5DmkII's batteries are rated as 7.2V, but the genuine AC adapter output is rated around 8.1V - seems like the camera is somewhat flexible with voltages?

Hopefully, Jaycar's 12V -> 7.5V adapter will work well with a DC coupler.
Hi Dave

I bought a Jaycar DC-DC converter and did use the "dummy" DR-E6 battery blank from Canon (you can of course use the eBay ones) and wired it up together with a 2-way plug-and-socket fitting - I also used 2 x 1N4001 diodes inline on the positive lead (to drop the voltage down from 9.5V, though the unit is supposed to be 9V on that setting - thus giving me a regulated DC supply of roughly 8.4V DC due to the voltage drop charateristic of diodes of 0.6V for each) - my understanding from the techie at the authorised Canon service center here in Perth is that it is not good to go over the 8.5V DC range for the cameras

Now I use this unit for both my 5D MkII, modded 40D & new 60Da - very happy with it all

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CanonPSUmod.jpg)
190.9 KB45 views
Old 26-05-2012, 12:22 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
seems like the camera is somewhat flexible with voltages?

Hopefully, Jaycar's 12V -> 7.5V adapter will work well with a DC coupler
You are correct, they have to be. 7.2v is the nominal voltage for the battery(3.6v per LiIon cell) however when fully charged they can be between 3.9 to 4.2v per cell, or 7.8 to 8.4 for the pack. I'm guessing Canon's charger doesn't go above 4v per cell for increased battery life.

I reckon the Jaycar power supply will work, you may get a low battery message tho

Edit: if this regulator I'll be testing works well, and I dont kill it testing it, I'll send you the spare one. Not sure when I get them tho.
Old 29-05-2012, 06:49 PM
naskies (Dave)

Thanks Bill & Simon.

I've already bought the Jaycar adapter, and have ordered a DC coupler off eBay (just waiting for it to arrive).

I'll see whether it will run on 7.5V first - if not, I'll do what Bill has done.