Old 30-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Helmann (Brett)

Display Calibration

Who colour calibrates their computer displays properly?

Photography professional all calibrate their displays, so I was wondering if astro-photographers do.

If you do, what calibration tools are you using and why?

I guess I should ask the question also if anyone calibrates their printers too?

Brett.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:40 PM
cventer

I use the X-Rite Eye One Display 2 to callibrate mine.

Do you 100% need to. Probably not. But its nice to know that the colors you are seeing are the ones you are supposed to.

This however assumes that the image you are looking at has been produced on a callibrated monitor.

I would gues over 80% of images posted here are produced on non callibrated monitors so you have to ask if its worth it.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Helmann (Brett)

The main reason why I am asking is that I run 2 displays side by side. Both are samsung's but not the same model. There is definitely a difference between the two that I cannot seem to adjust so they show the same colours.

How much is the X-Rite Eye One Display 2 and how easy is it to use?
Old 30-01-2012, 01:01 PM
AndyK (Andy)
VK2AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmann View Post
... The main reason why I am asking is that I run 2 displays side by side ...
I'm not sure a monitor calibrator is going to help you.
Although you have two displays, they are being driven by the same computer ... and the monitor calibration software works on the computer.
I think you would end up with one or other of the displays being correctly calibrated (depending on which one you used for the calibration process) but the other one would still be different.
Old 30-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Atlantis69 (Simon)

I run 3 monitors off the one PC and calibrate every 4 weeks or less (pro photographer). Calibration hardware will get each monitor colour corrected as best possible, each monitor going through its own calibration.

AndyK, the software which comes with the calibration tools is monitor aware, and will match 2 different screens as best possible.

Quite overkill for an astrophotographer though.
Old 30-01-2012, 02:55 PM
AndyK (Andy)
VK2AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis69 View Post
... AndyK, the software which comes with the calibration tools is monitor aware, and will match 2 different screens as best possible ...
Interesting. I wonder how it accomplishes that.
Are you saying that the calibrator can manage multiple monitors with corresponding multiple profiles?

My calibrator (a Spyder Pro) is a hardware device ... a colorimeter ... which you hang on the monitor while running the associated software.
The software generates a patch of colour and the colorimeter measures it and generates a profile for that monitor which is applied when the computer is fired up.

I don't quite understand how a calibration profile obtained from one monitor can be applied to another monitor ... or for that matter how a single profile would work for two different monitors. Perhaps if each monitor is being driven by it's own graphics card with each card having it's own profile ... but what about two monitors being driven by the same graphics hardware?

Last edited by AndyK; 30-01-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 30-01-2012, 03:39 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I use a Spyder 3 Express.

Al.
Old 30-01-2012, 04:25 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

I have a lovely Samsung SyncMaster 204B 22" screen purchased in 2006 and I use sweet F A always have...and it has been no hindrance at all...at least from what I can see

Probably mostly a waste of money for all but the professional publisher .

Mike
Old 30-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Helmann (Brett)

I would need tho Pro version of Spyder 3 to do multiple displays. Bit too much money for my limited use.

Has anybody used the Pantone Huey? They seam about the same price as the Spyder 3 Express but support multiple displays.

The only reason I am interested in them is to make both my displays the same. That is why I don't want to spend too much.

Brett.
Old 30-01-2012, 05:13 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Ah yes I see, I guess that makes sense...

Mike
Old 30-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Poita (Peter)

I use the Huey, it does a great job, but with cheap LCD monitors you will struggle to get them to match perfectly, they often just don't have the gamut available. On our professional monitors though, the Huey works fine and images are consistent from one screen to the next.
Old 31-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Helmann (Brett)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I use the Huey, it does a great job, but with cheap LCD monitors you will struggle to get them to match perfectly, they often just don't have the gamut available. On our professional monitors though, the Huey works fine and images are consistent from one screen to the next.

Where did you purchase the Pantone Huey? I cannot seem to find it in australia.
Old 31-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Atlantis69 (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
Interesting. I wonder how it accomplishes that.
Are you saying that the calibrator can manage multiple monitors with corresponding multiple profiles?

My calibrator (a Spyder Pro) is a hardware device ... a colorimeter ... which you hang on the monitor while running the associated software.
The software generates a patch of colour and the colorimeter measures it and generates a profile for that monitor which is applied when the computer is fired up.

I don't quite understand how a calibration profile obtained from one monitor can be applied to another monitor ... or for that matter how a single profile would work for two different monitors. Perhaps if each monitor is being driven by it's own graphics card with each card having it's own profile ... but what about two monitors being driven by the same graphics hardware?
Hi Andy,

I use a ColorMunki Photo to calibrate, as I also have 2 printers which I calibrate regularly, and this device is able to calibrate monitors, printers and projectors.

The hardware/software combo calibrates each monitor individually and generates a profile for each. There is a tool you need to install on XP to use a different profile on each monitor, but Windows 7 supports it natively.

Two monitors running off the same card is no issue, as that's how I am running my setup. Win7 just applies the correct profile to each monitor and things are sweet
Old 31-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Atlantis69 (Simon)

Quote:
ImageScience used to do them, but not any more it seems.
eBay might be your best bet at this point.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

The gretagmacbeth (I can't remember the model) is the same as the Huey and readily available in Australia.

I calibrate both my screens and both my pro/large format Epsons.

H
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
It has been discontinued, this is probably your best bet now.
http://www.hot.com.au/product/x-rite...tor-calibrator
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Poita (Peter)

The only caveat is keep the sensor cool and dry, use a baggy of silica gel or similar, otherwise the red filter can degrade over time from moisture.