Old 24-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Carl

Memory card Eos 350

Hi Folks
I have a canon DSLR 350eos. and i need to buy more memory. On Monday I rang Canon tech support and they recommended that I dont use anything more than the 4gb Sandisk Ultra II.
Today I ring them again and a different dude says they recommend nothing bigger than the Sandisk Ultra II 2gb.

I'm heading off to Mt Everest and dont want to be half way up and my camera says "Card error read".

I'm shooting large landscapes in RAW Any suggestions from Canon 350 owners would be really appreciated

regards
Carl
Old 24-07-2009, 10:39 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Carl, I'm not sure what type of card your 350D uses, but I've successfully used Kingston C/F cards on my 20D, 50D and 5DII without any problems. I bought 16Gb Kingston cards from shoppingsquare for under $60 each. They have a transfer rate of 15Mb/s which is as good as the UltraII spec. The speed of the card shouldn't be a factor anyway, slower transfer speeds simply mean the camera can't write to the card as quickly and burst (continuous frame) rates are the only thing that should be affected. Don't be tempted to buy from ebay, many ebay sellers are selling knock offs which are sub standard.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:47 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I couldn't find any reference in the user guide, but I strongly suspect that it'll be a 2GB limit.

A few things:

the 350D is not rated by Canon for temperatures below zero. Period. I would not recommend it.

get the high end cards, like Sandisk's extreme series - they are rated to operate in colder temperatures, normal cards aren't.

get several cards - at the prices today, and for a once in a lifetime trip to the Everest region (lucky you), I'd go with at least 3 or 4. They're dirt cheap.

get several batteries - at least 4 or 5. Batteries die in colder temperatures. They *will* drain. Don't tempt fate. Make sure that you keep the batteries in your warm jacket pockets etc until you *must* use them. Same with the camera.

The 350D is not weather resistant - snow/rain/ice will not do it any good. You need a 1 series body for that sort of punishment.

Good luck, have fun, and get some memorable shots. Are you just trekking to base camp or doing some local climbs (or if you're lucky, some everest climbs)?

Dave
Old 24-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Carl

Thanks for the quick replys
It looks like 2gb for the 350. As for performing under cold conditions I've used my camera to take shots in my observatory when its been down to minus 8. The only diffreence in the images were heaps less noise coz the chip preffered the cold.
cant afford to go and buy another camera so this baby that has served me well will do the trick

regards and thanks
Carl
Old 24-07-2009, 02:10 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

you can use 4gb... I have one for my 350D and it works fine.

search the forums here - there was a thread about this exact thing within the last 12 months or so.

Link: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=30479

Turbo
Old 24-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Ian Robinson

So buy a few Sandisk Ultra II 2gb cards if that's as big as you feel safe with.

Changing over the cards is pretty easy once they are formatted and they don't take up much space in the camera bag.
Old 24-07-2009, 05:16 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Here is a place that has run tests on camera memory cards for read/write rates etc.

Although the 350D is not listed other similar cameras are there. Just use the pull down menu to select a camera type.

I used this when determining a memory card for my 450D. It appears some cards...do not measure up at all.

Food for thought.
Old 25-07-2009, 09:56 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I wouldn't even be worrying about write speeds etc. In the real world, there's such little differene between the cards it's a moot point. The 350D is not a sports camera, it's sluggish like a sloth. These ultra fast cards cannot perform to their best with such a camera. You need a 1 series unit to really push the performance. Unlike many here, I own both 1 series and non 1 series Canon units. I speak from experience.

I would stick to either Sandisk or Kingston. I would highly recommend sticking to 2GB cards, and buying a swath of them. I would highly recommend multiple batteries. Just trust me on this.

Dave
Old 25-07-2009, 10:22 AM
leon

I use the 4 Gig Sandisk Extreme 4 with my Canon 5D and it has performed flawlessly, but then again it is not a 350D.

Having said that I would follow the others here and stick to 2 Gig and get a couple of them to be on the safe side, just my two cents worth.

Leon